Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have Mandrake 10.1 Official on my IBM Thinkpad and think it is wonderful. I now wish to install it on my PC, where I and my family currently use ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

SuSE to Mandrake

I have Mandrake 10.1 Official on my IBM Thinkpad and think it is wonderful. I now wish to install it on my PC, where I and my family currently use SuSe 9.1.

Is it possible to migrate - i.e. install Mandrake while keeping personal settings in /home - or is there a way of copying or backing up desired settings and information to restore when Mandrake is installed?

Regards

Paul Troke

There's nothing to stop you from running both SuSe and Mandrake on the same computer - they could both share the same /home directory. Doing something like that is fiddly for a newcomer, so if you don't feel confident with partioning tools like cfdisk then maybe wait to build up your knowledge. I'm not familiar with YAST, so don't know about support within that.

It's always wise to back up data from /home to - let's say - a CD/DVD or whatever medium seems best: it depends on how much data you have. Do this before you make any changes as you will never regret it.

If not (I just re-read your thread) just start from scratch and copy your data to the new setup ...
    I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. - Pablo Picasso