Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I installed Mandrake Linux 10.1 official on my brand new computer last week. It crashed a couple times with softwares like K3B and frozen bubbles. Yesterday, it crashed so ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Mandrake 10.1 unstable ?

Hi, I installed Mandrake Linux 10.1 official on my brand new computer last week. It crashed a couple times with softwares like K3B and frozen bubbles. Yesterday, it crashed so heavily that it corrupted my root. I had to install Linux again and format my hard drive !!! So far, I am not impressed with this distro.

Did somebody else got similar problems ? Or is it just a PBKAC (problem between keyboard and chair)?

By the way, I did not mess with Linux at all because I dont even know how to mess with it yet !

studur

PS.: What distro would you reconsider ?

Just Joined!
    I have not had any problems with 10.1

Linux Enthusiast apoorv_khurasia's Avatar

Re: Mandrake 10.1 unstable ?

Quote Originally Posted by studur
    Hi, I installed Mandrake Linux 10.1 official on my brand new computer last week. It crashed a couple times with softwares like K3B and frozen bubbles. Yesterday, it crashed so heavily that it corrupted my root. I had to install Linux again and format my hard drive !!! So far, I am not impressed with this distro.

Did somebody else got similar problems ? Or is it just a PBKAC (problem between keyboard and chair)?

By the way, I did not mess with Linux at all because I dont even know how to mess with it yet !

studur

PS.: What distro would you reconsider ?
    Hi studur
    First of all I woulld like to know what was your crash like. And were you running the program (application) as root? Since normally root does not get corrupted unless you issue some very terrible command as su login!!!
    "There is no sixth rule"
    --Rob Pike
    Registered Linux User: 400426 home page

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close