Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi all, I'm trying to install Shorewall off my installion DVD Rom, as it's on the disk but everytime I try to continue, the system asks me to insert the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Difficulty installing Shorewall

Hi all,

I'm trying to install Shorewall off my installion DVD Rom, as it's on the disk but everytime I try to continue, the system asks me to insert the DVD and opens the CD Rom drive below the DVD drive!. I tried exploring the DVD and trying to install by clicking directly on the package itself but the CD rom opens again so then I tried burning the files onto a CD but that wasn't recognised by MCC and again the CD Rom drive pops open.

How do I do this? MCC doesn't seem to recognise my DVD drive as being the correct one and looks to the CD burner below it instead.

Martin,

Dublin, Ireland
    LINUX: Where do you want to go.......Tomorrow!

Registered Linux user 396633

Linux Engineer
    Your burner won't read the CD?
    Registered Linux user #384279
    Vector Linux SOHO 7

You can change which drive urpmi looks for the media in by going into the Mandrake Control Center's Software Management section, clicking on Media Manager, selecting your source, and changing the path in the URL field. It's probably something like removable://mnt/cdrom/media/main, so you should change it to see the mount point for your dvd device instead of your cdrom. Please make a note of the original path before changing anything!

Alternately, you could disable the DVD source in Media Manager and set up main as an internet source, so you download whatever you need. This site will walk you through adding the main source:
    http://easyurpmi.zarb.org/
    Even if you don't decide to go with internet install sources for main, I would recommend that you use that site to set up your contrib and plf repositories, as they contain some nifty software (win32codecs, libdvdcss2, etc.).
    There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX. We don't believe this to be a coincidence.

- Jeremy S. Anderson

Hi retired1 af,

The CD burner can't read DVD's...

Hi Flatline,

I'll check that later and come back to you.

Martin,

Dublin, Ireland

Hi Flatline,

I'm afraid I don't know how to compose the path from one CD drive to another and am reluctant to make any major changes,I've had too much hassle over the past few months with my system, as seen from my recent postings. Can I not just download and itstall it without making any changes?

Martin,

Dublin, Ireland

You could give it a shot...
    Code:
    rpm -Uvh <packagename>
    As for modifying the path, if your dvd drive is mounted at /mnt/dvd, you would (for the example above) change the path from removable://mnt/cdrom/media/main to removable://mnt/dvd/media/main

I would recommend the urpmi configuration from easy urpmi (the link I gave above) if for no other reason than having the "other" packages available.
    There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX. We don't believe this to be a coincidence.

- Jeremy S. Anderson

Hi Flatline,

I went with the urpmi config and that seems to have done the trick. Now that it's set up, how do I choose and access other packages to install?

Martin,

Dublin, Ireland

You can just go into the Software section of the Mandrake Control Center and search for/install/remove software from there. urpmi is integrated into the software installer in the control center, and urpmi IS YOUR FRIEND.

- Jeremy S. Anderson

Just Joined!
    hi

-if you already added your cd rom to your urpmi source, just type #urpmi <packagename> and it will tell you to insert the cd<number> source
    -if you want gui lunch directly from console as root, try #drakrpm
    -also you can add more package source from the internet if you do have an internet connection, just go to http://easyurpmi.zarb.org/ so you can install some packages that you dont find in the cd