Find the answer to your Linux question:
Both I and someone else I know have this bug where if we open certain programs (Several games, including Supertux for me, as well as the Windows emulator WINE) go ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

A Nasty Bug

Both I and someone else I know have this bug where if we open certain programs (Several games, including Supertux for me, as well as the Windows emulator WINE) go into the taskbar and the loading animation with the hourglass starts. It stays there for about a minute or two loading and loading, then disappears, doing nothing. This happens to both of us, though I'm unsure if it does it with the same programs. Has this happened to anyone else, and what is the problem? As always, help is appreciated.

EDIT: Ah and also I feel it may be important to add that for the first one or two days after I re-installed, these programs worked. I did not do anything major to Mandrake that I think would create such a problem, and since someone else also has this bug, I doubt it was my fault.

Linux Newbie
    I've had this problem with 3ddesktop as well as other programs, but it only occurred when I launched them through GUI means. I lowered the - what was it called, "action feedback" or something similar - to 10 or 20 seconds so that the hour glass didn't annoy me to death. I also found that the programs worked when I loaded them from the console.

I'm not sure what causes the problem, or what the real way is - I just know this one particular work-around.
    \"Nifty News Fifty: When news breaks, we give you the pieces.\" - Sluggy Freelance

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Workaphobia
    I've had this problem with 3ddesktop as well as other programs, but it only occurred when I launched them through GUI means. I lowered the - what was it called, "action feedback" or something similar - to 10 or 20 seconds so that the hour glass didn't annoy me to death. I also found that the programs worked when I loaded them from the console.

I'm not sure what causes the problem, or what the real way is - I just know this one particular work-around.
    How can I lower "action feedback"? Also I'll try loading them from the console.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    I run any game in the console, and I get the following message:
    Fatal Signal: Segmentation Fault (SDL Parachute Deployed)

I however do not get the same message when I run wineboot.

But both WINE and the games do that spinny-loading thing where it loads forever then does nothing. So maybe the Segmentation Fault has nothing to do with it...?

God, I really need to switch distro's.

Linux Guru
    Generally, if a program works and the suddenly stops working, it's due to configuration change that you've made. These can always be reversed if you remember what you changed. Wine is a very fickle program; it's hard to get it working and even harder to keep it working, especially if you're using it with any frequency. Supertux, though...

To start the debug process, always start with the command line. Since you've done that, try su'ing to another user (any besides root will do) and see if they start that way. If they do, then you know it's a user config option. If they don't then you know it's a global config option.

Jeremy
    Registered Linux user #346571
    "All The Dude ever wanted was his rug back" - The Dude

Just Joined!

hourglass without results

this happens to me alot with alot of different programs. usually if I run them from the console
    it will give me an error message that explains what went wrong. usually this happens to from the get-go on many, but often has started to be a problem with programs after changing some configuration or installing new progs. this was horribly frustrating at first but the error messages have helped and I found that if I install all the packages I want in the beginning
    (ie- at installation or at first boot) this problem is minimised.

Quote Originally Posted by Demonic Crusader
    But both WINE and the games do that spinny-loading thing where it loads forever then does nothing. So maybe the Segmentation Fault has nothing to do with it...?

God, I really need to switch distro's.
    This happens in all distros. The "spinny loading thing" does not, as you suspected, have anything at all to do with your Segmentation Fault. The desktop environment you're using (GNOME or KDE usually) simply likes to provide feedback when it's launching something, and often these feedback mechanisms keep going regardless even after the application you're trying to launch has failed and errored out.

Segmentation faults happen when a program is trying to access memory on your system for which it does not have permission. Programmers have this problem a lot when working with arrays; if for instance you have an array with 20 elements, and your program tries to access element 21, you get a seg fault.

The particular segmentation fault you describe has happened to me many times (mostly with games, since you mentioned SDL). Usually a reinstall of the offending program fixes it, but your mileage may vary.

As for changing things, sometimes when you install a program or compile something from source your underlying system libraries can get changed/updated/renamed. This may happen completely unknown to the user, and when XXX application tries to access library file YYY (which has been renamed to ZZZ), your program tanks. This probably doesn't help your particular problem all that much.. I guess I'm just in an explanatory mood right now.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    these things are good to know.
    thanks techieMoe!