Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
it's new question , i meant if i used reboot comman my two hard drives will be no partitions at all , no data ? if no it's ok . ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

it's new question , i meant if i used reboot comman my two hard drives will be no partitions at all , no data ?
    if no it's ok .
    but i want any explanation to this attitude my to hard drives became empty no data and no partitions after reboot command, and my computer didn't want to boot from hard drive.
    i've tried rescue mode to fix boot load but nothig and then i tried to use fdisk -l /dev/hdb or /dev/hda to see any partition but nothing
    cat /etc/fstab
    also nothing

Linux Guru
    Let's start from beginning. When you start your computer, you should see the machine's BIOS check and confirm that you have one or more hard drives connected. Somtimes, especially in older machines, they may not be correctly connected or recognized by the system.

When Linux boots, whether from the hard drive or CD or floppy, once you have a command line, if you enter 'fdisk -l' you should see the partition tables of all hard drives in the system. Doing 'fdisk -l /dev/hda' will show only the partition table for /dev/hda.

The command 'reboot' should not cause any loss of data and it should not cause any changes in the system. It should only shutdown running processes (programs and services) in an orderly manner before rebooting the machine.

If you do 'fdisk -l' and Linux does not show your hard drives, there is a problem in the basic configuration of your hardware. If Linux instead reports that there is a hard drive but doesn't show the table of partitions, then that should mean that the drive has no partitions. If a drive is detected and has no partitions, fdisk should still say where the drive is connected (what bus location) and how big the drive is, with units of heads, sectors, cylinders and bytes.

Even if fdisk shows that a drive is connected, you cannot access the data on the drive until one or more partitions of the drive have been mounted. You can see what partitions are mounted by simply entering 'mount'. Several filesystems other than hard drive partitions will be reported. All mounted hard drive partitions will appear with /dev/hda (or hdx... or sdx...) in the lefthand column of the table returned by the mount command.
    /IMHO
    //got nothin'
    ///this use to look better

Just Joined!
    yes fdisk shows me that i've two disks but system doesn't want to start .
    at this point i installed a fresh copy of mdk and while installing in partitioning step i haven't been able to see my previous partitions just new hards

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2