Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
i've added additional hard drive to my system (mandrake)but it doesn't appear . i tried to see if my hard exist in patitions at control center but when clicked patitions ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

problem detect hard drive

i've added additional hard drive to my system (mandrake)but it doesn't appear .

i tried to see if my hard exist in patitions at control center but when clicked patitions icon i got this message (i can't read the partition table of device hdb it's too corrupted for me i can go on erasing over bad partions . the solution is to not allow drakx to modifa the partition table )

Linux Guru
    First thing I would do is verify that Linux recognizes the drive correctly. You can do this with the fdisk command, but you must have root privleges to do it:
    Code:
    $  su -
    (enter password when asked)
    #  fdisk -l | less
    Use up/down arrow keys to scroll through the output and press q to exit from "less". With fdisk, you should see each hard drive in your system, it's size and all of the partitions and partition types. Once you have confirmed that Linux recognizes the drive correctly, you should be able to run fsck which will check and repair the filesystem on the drive. Read the manual page for fsck ($ man fsck). fsck should be run on filesystems which are not mounted. After running fsck, the filesystem can be mounted (read the 'mount' manual page) and then read same as any other filesystem.
    /IMHO
    //got nothin'
    ///this use to look better

Just Joined!
    thanks drakebasher
    i can see my two hards in fdisk but can't see the second hard in fstab file

Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by mandrakelinux
    i can see my two hards in fdisk but can't see the second hard in fstab file
    fstab is a file that tells your Linux what filesystems to mount. A filesystem must be mounted before you can read it. It may be mounted manually with the 'mount' command or it may be mounted automatically if it is entered in fstab.

So, to read the drive, you should be able to do:
    Code:
    mount /dev/hdb1 /mnt
    ...or...
    mount /dev/hdb1 /home/yourusername
    You must have super user privleges to do that: either log in as root or (better) 'su -' to become super user. When you run 'fdisk -l', you will see what partitions are on the drive: hdb1, hdb2, etc. and you will see what type of filesystem it is: Linux, vfat, swap, extended... If Linux says that it needs to be told what filesystem type the drive is, the filesystem is probably corrupted or is a type that cannot be mounted. Swap partitions cannot be mounted the same way as others. The partition (there's maximum one per drive) of type "extended" cannot be mounted because it is just a "container" for holding all partitions with a number greater than 4 (hdb5, etc). If 'fdisk -l' says the partition is type 'Linux' but Linux says it needs to know the type of filesystem when you try to mount it, that's a clue that the filesystem is corrupted and you need to run fsck (see previous post).
    /IMHO
    //got nothin'

Just Joined!
    thanks a lot
    i mounted hdb
    but i still have 2 questions
    1- how can i automate mount at start up ?
    2- could i make a new partition and formate it from control
    center--->partition and formate it (any type of formate especially vfat)

Linux Guru
    Mounting will be automatic if you add a line in your file /etc/fstab for that partition. Take a look at that file and look at how your other filesystems are entered. The format of the additional line will be something like:
    Code:
    /dev/hdb1 /home/newdrive ext2 defaults 1 2
    Where:
    • '/dev/hdb1' should be the correct identification of your new partition or drive (do 'fdisk -l' to see that)
      '/home/newdrive' should be the mountpoint where you want to mount it. The mount point must exist (do 'mkdir /home/newdrive').
      For the other stuff, follow the format of your other mounted hard drive partitions.
    Post your /etc/fstab (or parts of it) if you need more help.

2. Not sure about formatting hard drive partitions that way. I know you can do floppies. Try it out!
    /IMHO
    //got nothin'

Just Joined!
    many thanks drakebasher
    really it works good i'm happy . but i wanna ask one question
    does reboot command destroy system (does't work any more) or at least corrupt filesystem table ?

Linux Guru
    does reboot command destroy system (does't work any more) or at least corrupt filesystem table ?
    No.... man, questions like that make me nervous. The reboot command should cause an "orderly" shutdown and restart. That means that it should go through an init script same as for a normal shutdown, followed by restart. Is this a question of curiosity or do you have a problem? I should have mentioned previously that when you add lines to the /etc/fstab file, they usually should be added at the end. The sequence of mounting essential filesystems is important and mounting of non-essential filesystems should occur after all essential ones.

As to a "corrrupt filesystem table", I know that some distros use means of automatically modifying the fstab file. Fedora Core 3 is one. I'm not a fan of that idea, but I'm not familiar with the details.
    /IMHO
    //got nothin'

Just Joined!
    i used to use shutdown -r to restart the machine but once i've typed reboot after i mounted my two hard drives , two hard has gone ( no filesystem , no partitions , nothing at all ) all i've seen is two blank

Linux Guru
    I don't understand this:
    all i've seen is two blank
    What do you mean?

If you do:
    Code:
    fdisk -l /dev/hdb
    (where I'm assuming that "hdb" is the drive that you are unable to see) what is the result?

In a previous post, you asked about formatting partitions. Did you try to format a partition, and if so, what did you do?

shutdown -r is equivalent to reboot
    /IMHO
    //got nothin'

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast