Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have an unusual problem. I have Mandrake 10.1 installed and have compiled and installed a Smartlink driver for my Netodragon Winmodem (PCI). I have setup KPPP with my ISP. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

MDK-10.1 X-server Freezes

I have an unusual problem. I have Mandrake 10.1 installed and have compiled and installed a Smartlink driver for my Netodragon Winmodem (PCI). I have setup KPPP with my ISP.

The problem occurs with a few programs. Certain software causes X-server to freeze only while online. This causes the PC to freeze up usually till the modem connection times out (modem driver causing this???).

Basically something is causing me to loose my modem connection and causes x-server to freeze till kppp connection times out and then I can regain control and restart my kppp internet connection. Note: Kppp does not die. It's still there after the system unfreezes. And it still thinks its connected to the internet... I have to disconnect and reconnect before I can get a 'real' working connection.

Software that seems to cause this.
    > Internet browsers when a dialog-prompt box pops up. (freezes right before box appears...then when system finally unlocks, the dialog box pops up). These are usually the boxes that ask if you are sure you want to send information over an unencrypted connection etc or some kind of feedback from you. This does NOT happen from popads.

> OpenGL software. System locks up permanently (on GNOME).

> Gaim - Kopete - Instant Messengers. If I get an instant message from someone or a notice that a buddy is online... i get the lockup and disconnect.

> Memory intensive applications??? maybe??

> This happens both in GNOME and KDE.

Sometimes after having the above happen, I am forced to quit using KPPP to dialout to my ISP because this will cause x-server to freeze. (once I click connect and my modem begins modemsounds the thing is lockedup). This means i have to unplug my phone line, timeout KPPP and reboot. Otherwise it happens repeatedly everytime I try to dialout.

Basically I want to know what I can do to figure out what causes this. Is it KPPP? Is there some setting in linux that causes this? Or is it a bad driver?
    I want to isolate the problem.

One last note, all the above does not happen while offline. OpenGL games run fine while offline and gaim and kopete work fine until I get an instant message etc...

Surfing the Net is a pain having the PC freeze, and then having to reconnect every time this happens!!!

Anyone have this problem before, or have a guess to it's cause? I would appreciate any kind of troubleshooting advice or references to other material/books/websites. ANYTHING

Thanks

Sam

Just Joined!
    bump