Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have recently been trying to install several programs ( cecilia and pd ) and have consistently gotten the same errors time and time again on several machines. here is ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

errors starting programs

I have recently been trying to install several programs ( cecilia and pd ) and have consistently gotten the same errors time and time again on several machines.
    here is the error message...
    Code:
    Application initialization failed: Can't find a usable init.tcl in the following directories:
        /usr/lib/tcl8.4 /usr/lib/tcl8.4 /lib/tcl8.4 /usr/library /library /tcl8.4.9/library /usr/lib/tcl8.4
    This probably means that Tcl wasn't installed properly.
    Error in startup script: invalid command name "wm"
        while executing
    "wm withdraw ."
        (file "/usr/bin/cecilia-tcl" line 28)
    this error message is identical with pd (save the path)
    I'm told that all the selected packages were installed successfully so I'm at a loss.
    can you help?
    BTW... i did this with urpmi from thac's rpms

thanks!
    cp

Just Joined!

resolved???

I got all the programs to install finally... doing the same exact thing I had done before.
    It seems that everytime I install mandrake, there is a slightly different outcome.
    I re-formated and re-install the same way with differing results.
    not knowing a whole lot about fixing these problems leaves that as the only option, which usually works out after about the third time.
    yes it is time consuming, but once I've got it it always seems super stable.

does anyone have any input on why these things happen differently under the same circumstances?
    thanks for your help!
    cp