Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi all, The Linux magazine I get has just announced that the next edition will have Mandriva Limited Edition 2005 (Mandrake 10.2 Comminity) as it 'free' DVD Rom. Has anyone ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Mandriva Limitied Edition 2005 available....any comments?

Hi all,

The Linux magazine I get has just announced that the next edition will have Mandriva Limited Edition 2005 (Mandrake 10.2 Comminity) as it 'free' DVD Rom. Has anyone instaled this yet and if yes, can I get some feedback? I have 10.1 Official and might upgrade if it's good but I don't want a system that needs 'bug-fixing' as I'm still a newbie and wouldn't be any good at that.

I was at an I.T exibition in Dublin earlier and Mandriva were there, I spoke to a rep and he assurured me the new release would be pretty stable. I'm just looking for a bit of feedback before I decide wheter or not to go ahead and upgrade.

Thanks,

Martin,
    Dublin, Ireland
    LINUX: Where do you want to go.......Tomorrow!

Registered Linux user 396633

Newsforge did a review of it. I warn you though, take their recommendations with a grain of salt. The person who wrote it was obviously pro-Mandriva and anti-"every other commercial distribution of Linux". I personally found the review to read more like a promotional write-up than an actual review. Might give you more of an idea what you're looking at though.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    I've made an upgrade from Mandrake 10.1 to Mandriva 2005 LE. That causes a lot of problems here, like my usb-storage device doesn't mount automatical.
    But i've read a lot about it (on dutch forums), and a lot of people were positive.
    I am positive too, but only when you do a fresh install, upgrades does not work correctly here.

Roeland

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    I installed Mandriva 2005 LE, and so far I have had no problems. I like it, but I don't see any reason to rush out and buy it if you already are running MDK10.1. KDE is a bit faster than with 10.0 on my desktop. I did a fresh install, I have not had luck in the past with the "upgrade" choice. As soon as I can get all my files backed up, I am going to put 2005 LE on my laptop. It could use an updated distro, since its running on RH9. My usb-storage mounts automatically here, but as I said, i did a complete install, since upgrade has caused me nothing but grief in the past.

Thanks guys,

Are all your desktop icons there when it boots up? That is, CD Roms, floppy etc? That was an issue I had with 10.0 that could only be rectified by taking the upgrade option from 10.1 official. Also how many web browers are installed for you?

Martin,

Dublin, Ireland
    LINUX: Where do you want to go.......Tomorrow!

Registered Linux user 396633

Just Joined!

Mandriva 10.2 2005 LE

Firefox 1.02
    Epiphany
    Konqueror -come installed.

I have installed it and am having issues with my slmodem driver. This driver no longer works with the upgraded kernel. I beleive it should work in alsa mode but I am a newbie and was unable to get it to work so far.

This version seems a bit more solid than MDK 10.1. Other than the above it works very well. Was able to install Nvidia drivers and get OpenGL working for it. KDE is faster, and GNOME works well too.

Overall a 9 out of 10.

-Sam