Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I've had problems trying to install rpm's under Mandrake 10.1. I downloaded several (firefox, xmule, etc.) and opened the rpm in order to install it, but after having installed ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

rpm's

Hi,

I've had problems trying to install rpm's under Mandrake 10.1. I downloaded several (firefox, xmule, etc.) and opened the rpm in order to install it, but after having installed it I can't find the program, though the computer tells me it is installed when I try to install it again. The only rpm I managed to install was aMSN.
    Someone told me to try easyurpmi on the net, but when I enter the lines they give me in the command line, it says "couldn't find command urpmi.addmedia". So I also tried to connect to the ftp sites through the software media manager, again without success.
    I really don't know what to do !

Yann.

to do the urpmi thing, you need to be root. into a terminal type su and then type your root password. Now you can add the options said by easyurpmi.

Also, have you checked your start menu to see if the links appear there? The whole deal with RPMs is that the system will handle the installation part for you and the links will be placed in your start menu equivalent. e.g. for firefox, try start menu -> internet -> browsers

hope this helps

Just Joined!
    hi,

when i tried to install an rpm it came up with this:

warning: irssi-0.8.9-6mdk.src.rpm: V3 DSA signature: NOKEY, key ID 26752624
    warning: user misc does not exist - using root
    warning: group misc does not exist - using root

Any help? thanks

Steve
    Mandrake 10.1

did you try installing with rpm -i <name of file> command? have you tried urpmi from a different source. It seems that your irssi-0.8.9-6mdk file is not properly signed and hence that is why it cant install.

Just Joined!
    Hi,

Now it works - I could connect to the rpm sources throufh easyurpmi doing as you said in the su terminal.
    Great ! Thanks a lot !

Yann.

Just Joined!
    yup rpm -i <file> and those were the warnings i got

Steve
    Mandrake 10.1