Find the answer to your Linux question:
I just upgraded to Mandrivalinux Limited Edition 2005 on my desktop, and there are some problems I met. I installed vmware workstation 5.0 and mozilla-thunderbird but neither of them works. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Mozilla-thunderbird, vmware and acroread7 on LE2005

I just upgraded to Mandrivalinux Limited Edition 2005 on my desktop, and there are some problems I met. I installed vmware workstation 5.0 and mozilla-thunderbird but neither of them works.
    For mozilla-thunderbird the program cannot be started, and the error message was
    *** glibc detected *** free(): invalid pointer: 0x08ee8ec0 ***
    thunderbird/run-mozilla.sh: line 159: 2517 Aborted "$prog" ${1+"$@"}".

For vmware workstation the program can be started but it froze there and have no response at all, the error message was
    *** glibc detected *** free(): invalid pointer: 0x08eb0660 ***
    NOT_REACHED /build/mts/release/bora-13124/bora/apps/vmuiLinux/sig_vmui.c:390

Finally I even cannot use the acroread7 built in LE2005. Every time I type "acroread7" on command line the program start and shut down immediately.

I think all these problem are kind of related, but I don't know how to do with it. So does anyone have some ideas of these problems? Any suggestions will be helpful and appreciated.

Just Joined!
    Have you tried just typing ¨acroread¨? I it worked for me.

Actually it didn't work for me but I figured it was the ancient 5 release. If it's 7 I'll check it out later and post back. See what I can do...

Linux Enthusiast
    Did you get any errors during your upgrade process?
    I have made an upgrade as well, and had a few problems with my WLAN adapter first, but resolved by uninstall the drivers and re-install them again.
    From the error message it sounds like you have some kind of missmatch of your GLIBc which is kind of serious.

Hi Guys,
    As it turned out my acroread problem went away after my reinstall (I have completely purged Windows from all of my machines now - WooHoo!).

Only thing was search didn't work i Acrobat because plugins weren't installed. Off I went and installed the plugins package only to find one of them is corrupt and I get a message up every time I start it up. I'm not usre how to rememdy this because I can't find any plugin controls in the application and I couldn't see any editable config files for it in /etc/ or hidden at home. Strange but I'll figure it out eventually.