Find the answer to your Linux question:
i have just fresh install mandrake 10.1 .. I want to know why some times for fresh installation it got prompt me username & passwd to login meanwhile some time ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Mandrake LoGin Screen !!HElp me if you know

i have just fresh install mandrake 10.1 ..

I want to know why some times for fresh installation it got prompt me username & passwd to login meanwhile some time i reformat again it only direct prompt me to enter passwd (the username cannot be selected and is default) . I have disable auto login..Anyone can advise

Linux Newbie
    I don't have all the details concerning your nstall but if you installed MDK 10.1 you should have a root password and user name. Usually MDK allows a default user account at boot. Mine is configured to boot a default user without a password. To change that, use DrakConfig in the configure computer menu where you can administer users privileges.

hope that helps. I'm a newbie myself- I always let the distro do the work configuring before trying anything at console.

Just Joined!

display name

Ok..i get what u mean..i explain my situation properly..

I want a display where user can login their own username and password..I don;t want set a default user to only just login a password to enter..

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    So you don't want to have the list of users to pick from and want to make them type the login and password? You'd have to switch the login manager from the mandrakekdm package (the default) to the vanilla kdm package, which is available on the install CDs. You could, of course, also use GDM or XDM and get similar results.
    There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX. We don't believe this to be a coincidence.

- Jeremy S. Anderson

Just Joined!

login

can u explain more how to switch the packeage..because i have try to search ,doesnt;t seem working

Try going into the Mandrake Control Center (Configure Your Computer) and using its Software Installation/Removal tools. You should be able to do a search for kdm and find the package you need.
    There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX. We don't believe this to be a coincidence.

- Jeremy S. Anderson

Just Joined!

hi all

Goodday,
    I installed Mandrake 10.1 on my system, but when ever I want to login am not being prompted for a user name and password .After I added a root password and added a user & password during my installation.
    I need ur help urgently please!!

Just Joined!

hi all

Goodday,
    I installed Mandrake 10.1 on my system, but when ever I want to login am not being prompted for a user name and password .After I added a root password and added a user & password during my installation.
    I need ur help urgently please!!

Do you mean that you are being logged in automatically? For some reason, this is the default behavior in some distros (I find it a bit disconcerting, personally). You can stop that behavior by going into the KDE Control Center -> System Administration -> Login Manager, clicking on the Administrator Mode tab at the bottom and entering your root password, clicking on the Convenience tab at the top, and unchecking the Enable Auto-Login box.

- Jeremy S. Anderson

Just Joined!

One solution...

Hi.
    If you want to be asked, every time on the log-in time without a user predefined list with icons, you need to do the following steps:
    - Open the Mandrake Control Center
    - Chose the section "Security"
    - Chose the section "Level and checks"
    - Chose the selection tab "System Options"
    - Search for the option "List users on display managers (kdm and gdm)" and put the value "no"

After that, close the control center (by pressing the OK button) and restart the X-Server pressing <shift>+<backspace>.

And voila!!!