Find the answer to your Linux question:
My bootloader works fine, then I get to the screen Ębooting systemĘ where you can press esc for verbose mode. Anyway, after that it throws me into the command console ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Mandriva 10.2 LE bootup problem!

My bootloader works fine, then I get to the screen Ębooting systemĘ where you can press esc for verbose mode. Anyway, after that it throws me into the command console instead of booting into my graphical environment. Then I have to log in as root, disable my graphical interface (telinit 3) and load it again (telinit 5) and then it loads. If I just press alt F7 to switch to my graphical environment before disabling it nothing happens. I┤ve set the option in my boot options menu to boot into my graphical environment but it still does this. Can anyone please tell me how to fix this?

Just Joined!

Windows X does not start up

hi there
    im a new to linux mandrake 2005. ive tried to change the int file in th root terminal but it wont let me as it says i dont have the permission. i want gnome to boot up all the time as it keeps on going to command line at the moment. can anyone help!!!

So, what is your runlevel for default?
    Is it 3 or 5?

If in /etc/inittab there is
    Code:
    id:3:initdefault:
    write
    Code:
    id:5:initdefault:
    instead of it!

Just Joined!
    ive already tried that, in gnome but it will not let me change it, says i dont have thefile permission

Just Joined!

sorted

u need to go into the autologin menu through the control centre > boot up settings.

feel really dump now!

thanks everyone for reading

Quote Originally Posted by loxy
    ive already tried that, in gnome but it will not let me change it, says i dont have thefile permission
    login as root

Just Joined!
    Yeah I already tried it, my settings in /etc/inittab says id:5:initdefault: that's what I can't figure out. Have any ideas?

Just Joined!
    Do the login as a normal user, then run kde, go to menu/system/configuration/"configure your computer", put your root password, in control center go to boot, then go to the part that says automatic login, there you can configure what i think you are looking for.