Find the answer to your Linux question:
Running Mandrake 10.1, for about a month now. Proud of it. Dang proud. I've run into my first problem, and I'm reading all I can to find out what to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Konqueror and all mounts/Home are acting up. Where to start

Running Mandrake 10.1, for about a month now. Proud of it. Dang proud.
    I've run into my first problem, and I'm reading all I can to find out what to do (I learn by doing rather than crying, which is why I'm switching to Linux.) But I'm a newb so I don't know where to start. Here's the best explaination, thanks for the help/pointers/whatever.

After a small amount of goofing around trying to mount a USB mass storage device (smartmedia reader) Konqueror and my mounts (CD, harddrive, floppy) have been acting up. Infrequently, everything is normal. 3/4 the time, the icons in KDE for mounted hardware are missing, I cannot load the Home icon to browse, and Konqueror will process (flash the hourglass in the tray) and then no window will pop up. However, if I check the process table in KDE system monitor, there is a Konqueror process running for everything I try to start it.
    I'm not sure if something funny is going on, or what, but I just need to know where to start. Thank you again.

Check out this thread:

http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/topic-41723.html

After he got his USB mounted, he was having some funky issues. See if his solution helps you out.

Just Joined!
    Not even five minutes... and that's it. Excellent, thank you.

Just Joined!
    Another problem which manifests itself in the same way is not properly unmounting remote disks. If, for example, an smbfs is mounted and the connection is lost before unmounting, Konqueror will be quite unresponsive if one attempts to open the parent directory of the mount point.

It could be that I was the only one in the world unaware of this, but since this may not be the case I thought I'd share.

Just Joined!
    Thank you also. good to know for the Gnu guy.