Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm a new linux user. I had Mandrake 9 on my computer, but shelved it for awhile. I decided to give linux another go and installed 10.1 on the computer.... ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Keyboard??? Mouse??? ...Nope

I'm a new linux user. I had Mandrake 9 on my computer, but shelved it for awhile. I decided to give linux another go and installed 10.1 on the computer....

My problem is that my keyboard doesn't work. It works fine at the initial boot (i can del to get into bios) and it works at lilo to choose which boot. After that, I lose it. I also lose the mouse.

I've discovered 2 things
    1. The keyboard did not work during installation and has never worked after the first part of the mandrake boot process
    2. The mouse worked during installation, but now, nothing.

Some specs:
    I'm using an older system Celeron 300mhz
    80mb ram
    2 hdd, one 4g, one 3g
    Mouse: Logitech serial
    Keyboard: the old school big connector

I've tried the 3 options for boot, and each one: no keyboard or mouse.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, I really can't do anything at all except watch a frozen screen (and yell at it)
    Thanks

Just Joined!
    Do you start into run level 3, or strait into X?

***edit***

Given the system specs, might want to consider a lighter distro. I've had good luck with Vector on a dated machine, and there are plenty of others.

Just Joined!
    I start right into X (i think if X means the graphical interface) I've also tried the fail safe startup. I lose the keyboard at the same time as mentioned above and can't type when i get to the prompt.

How does one go about starting in run level 3? Can it be done somewhere in the installation? cause that's about all that works (assuming I don't need a keyboard to type anything to make it start in run level 3)

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    I think the problem might be your hardware.
    Mandrake 10.1 might be too advanced for it, and probably doesn't have support for it anymore.
    You could try to install your older version of Mandrake.

The only way that I know of with your current situation to get the machine to boot into runlevel 3, would be to get a livecd. Such as Knoppix or Mepis.
    Boot with the livecd in the hard drive. Once you get to a desktop, mount your hard drive. There should be an icon on the desktop representing your hard drive.
    Right click on the icon and make sure that it is writable.
    Open up a console/terminal, type
    Code:
    vi /etc/inittab
    Then hit " i " to bring you to INSERT mode.
    See that line
    id:5:initdefault:
    Change that 5 or if it is a 4 to a 3
    Hit ESC that will bring you to COMMAND mode
    Now type ZZ that will save your work.
    Reboot, and try your keyboard in runlevel 3.

Let us know how it goes.
    How to know if you are a geek.
    when you respond to "get a life!" with "what's the URL?"
    - Birger

New users read The FAQ

Just Joined!
    If you don't have a liveboot CD for Budman7's suggestion, there is a way to set runlevel to 3 during installation. Just after defining the password for root and creating a regular user for the machine, there is a window asking "I can set up your computer to automaticallylog in one user. Do you want to use this feature?" Unchecking the box adjacent this question will do the job.

At the end of the installation (prior to rebooting) try to do as much of the configuring of hardware as possible.

If you have a keyboard after the reboot and
    Code:
    $ startx
    doesn't work, then you can run
    Code:
    # xf86cfg
    to configure X for your keyboard, mouse, monitor and card. You'll want to have the monitor's specs handy.

Failing all this, borrowing a keyboard and mouse at least for installation would be my only other suggestion.

Good luck.

Just Joined!

Linux Hates Me

Well, I tried both of your advice...allow me to report:

I tried using the mini install disk for setup. I still had no keyboard. I selected "Upgrade Mandrake 10.1" It did not give me the dialog screen you mentioned. I suppose I could repartition/format and install, but i don't recall seeing the screen during the process (remember, I can't set a root or user due to lack of the function of a keyboard)

I also tried using Mepis 3.3 to boot. I initially had problems seeing anything, I switched the res to 800x600 i can now see. I tried using the "old hardware" boot. Well, long story short...under the right circumstances, I can get to a prompt in Mepis...not the desktop...with keyboard ...YEAH!

So, what do I do now? THank you both for your speedy responses and willingness to help. I really appreciate it.

I beleive the command for Mandrake is
    Code:
    xorgconfig
    or
    Code:
    xf86config
    You will be asked to put in info about your keyboard, monitor, mouse and video card
    How to know if you are a geek.
    when you respond to "get a life!" with "what's the URL?"
    - Birger

New users read The FAQ