Find the answer to your Linux question:
I just got a fresh copy of LE2005 yesterday, and told myself I'd give it a try since I was unsuccessful with 10.0. Now I get to install this on ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Mandriva LE 2005 - Installation problem!

I just got a fresh copy of LE2005 yesterday, and told myself I'd give it a try since I was unsuccessful with 10.0. Now I get to install this on my laptop until I get the following error: No valid devices were found on which to create new filesystems.

This is a copy and paste from the kernel message. On the GUI interface it says: Found INTEL corp.|82801|FBM (ICH6M) SATA Controller. it asks me if I want to look for other drivers, but how the hell should I know what are my drivers for this disk? Then each times I try another driver, it says to input some kind of parameter...

I'm far from beign a genius in Linux, but at first I believe this is a problem with my hard disk? But on the compatibility list of Mandriva, it says it is supported.
    http://www.linux-mandrake.com/en/har...cher&id=975881

I'd need somebody to shed my lights on this please!!
    I must says that I had partitioned my drive D: with acronis partition expert using EXT3 prior ro installation.

Cheers!

It looks more to do with the SATA controller than the disk itself. I'm not much of an expert on SATA config, but have you checked the compatability for that? It looks intel based so I'm kinda surprised it doesn't work.

Just Joined!

Mandriva Installation also fails on Dell Dimension 8400

Were you ever able to get a resolution to this? I've been trying to install Mandriva (Full Distro) on a Dell Dimension 8400 - two SATA 160 GB drives with 100 GB free on drive 2. The installer will not get past the error message above.

Would be great to know if there's anyway around this?

Pressing F1 for more options and entering noapic as a startup parameter often fixes installation issues like these. Ditto for acpi=off.
    There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX. We don't believe this to be a coincidence.

- Jeremy S. Anderson