Find the answer to your Linux question:
When I hook up my HP Photosmart 620 digital camera to my Mandriva 10.1 box, Konqueror will not open. It tries to open for a while and then just goes ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Konqueror locks with HP Photosmart 620 in Mandriva 10.1

When I hook up my HP Photosmart 620 digital camera to my Mandriva 10.1 box, Konqueror will not open. It tries to open for a while and then just goes away. If I remove the camera, Konqueror will open again. I know the camera is being seen by the system because the hardware config tool lists it as a drive. I have the camera set to act as a USB drive, and it works fine on my suse 9.1 box. In fact, this was my last test of Mandriva before I was going to move the Suse box to Mandriva. I'm hoping there is a simple fix for this, because Mandriva has been so much better at working with my other hardware.

Has anyone else run into this?

System details
    Mandriva 10.1
    DIY system with
    AMD Athlon 2700+
    512 MB RAM
    PC Chips K7 M825G mobo
    Nvidia 32 MB AGP Video

Just Joined!

yep

konqueror hates usb devices.
    this is common.
    use nautilus.
    everyone has this problem as far as i know.

It honestly depends on the device, knoqueror works fine with USB Zip Drives, keys, and other things, I think that it doesn't understand how to connect to the camera. But I agree, use nautilus to browse it, I have never had any problems using GNOME's file browser before, unlike KDE and Knoqueror.
    Nothing is worse than ten penguins fighting over which is better, vi or emacs.
    Registered Linux User #404402
    Finally I'm back on LF after a long while.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!

usb & konqueror

konqueror does'nt like my usb zip or usb flash drive, I guess it has to do with the brand too.

Just Joined!

Thanks for the tips!

I haven't really used gnome, and for just the camera I'm not really ready to make the investment to switch desktops. However, I didn't realize that Konqueror is known for being picky on USB devices. For some reason Konqueror works fine in Suse, and both have the same version of KDE.

Based on your information, I decided try pulling the photos off using Konsole. My Bash is a bit spotty so it took a bit of fiddling, but once I got my commands straight I was able to copy the image files over. Thanks again for your help!

Just Joined!

Mandriva 10.2 fixed my digital camera issues

Since my last post, I bought a new digital camera. This one an HP R707. Unfortunately, I couldn't even offload pics from this camera in Mandriva 10.1 from the command line. My box with Suse 9.1 (with KDE and Konqueror) didn't skip a beat, and picked it right up. I even tried a fresh reinstall of Mandriva 10.1 from a different source and made sure I loaded all available patches. No luck. Not even from the command line or using Gnome.

So, I downloaded the Mandriva 10.2 dvd iso and installed from there. Wow! It sees the camera and gave me a popup window even.