Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi all, My primary drive ('C' or hda1 - whichever way you want to read it) is coming to the end of it's life and needs to be replaced. That's ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Hard drive is dying,all advice welcome

Hi all,

My primary drive ('C' or hda1 - whichever way you want to read it) is coming to the end of it's life and needs to be replaced. That's no problem but there are 3 O.S. on the drive and one on the 'D'/hdb1. What I need is a much advice as possible before I make the replacement, some of my questions relate to multi-booting Windows and Linux on one machine so I hope no-one minds if a Windows question gets thrown in.

I'm running Win 98, Mandrake 10.1 Official and SuSE 9.2 Personal off the primary drive (the one that's dying) and XP on the second. Also, all my personal files are stored on the same drive as XP. When I fit a new 'C' (hda) drive, all boot records will have to be re-created, correct? Therefore, I would first re-install Win 98 but the next one that must be in the 'mix' is XP, it's on it's own drive so I'll need to re-create the Windows dual boot (NTLDR) and want to do that without a full re-install of XP. Next, I would create my Linux partitions using Partiton Magic and first install SuSE, again correct? As SuSE defaults to the main partiton where the swap file is and my copy doesn't give the option to choose a drive or partition (see my postings in SuSE forum). After that, I have install disks of Fedora and Ubuntu which I'd like to include but in order to create boot floopys for these, is the procedure the same as in SuSE as Flatline showed me (again, posted in SuSE forum) and which goes on next? Is it Fedora or Ubuntu? The last one to be installed will be Mandriva as I now have an install disk for LE 2005, came with my Linux magazine.

Sorry, to be such a long posting but I want to get everything right before I open up the machine and make the replacement, once I take the old drive out, I have to finish what I will have started. Any advice I can get will be welcome.

Thanks,

Martin,

Dublin, Ireland
    LINUX: Where do you want to go.......Tomorrow!

Registered Linux user 396633

Just Joined!

simple way

hey why don`t you just attached the new DISK and do a Ghost from the old one on it, every thing will stay as it is

FADI.

Beirut - Lebanon

Hi Eaglei,

Thanks for that but saving the data isn't an issue as anything vital's already been backed up and some of the remaing data seems to be unstable. I'm more concerned with restoring the dual Windows systems and loading my Linux distros on top after I install the new drive and I need to be sure I get it right.

Martin,

Dublin, Ireland

Just Joined!

Cloning a HD - bit-by-bit

Hi Martin,
    I think I have a good, free, solution. I believe that I did pretty much what you described recently, using one of the utilities that's on the Ulimate Boot CD:
    http://ubcd.sourceforge.net/
    There are several utilities included on the CD that offer HD Cloning (see the directory on the CD with that name). I believe the one I used was called "G4U". It allowed me to boot directly from the UBCD, start the utility in question, and then do a bit-by-bit clone of the entire HD. It apparenty does the boot sectors and all else (mirror image), as the cloned disk is now bootable, and is a mirror image of the original. The utility is a command line type, but there are instructions that appear when you start it up. The only "tricky" bit (as I see it - famous last words ;O), is finding the correct designation for the drive you're cloning TO. If you read through it a bit, you can probably figure it out, as I did. Just be careful not to get it backwards, and end up wiping the "good" HD. ;o) I cloned an 80gig WD to an 80 gig Seagate. It took about three quarters of an hour on my P4, 2600, which isn't bad for that much cloning. I was impressed. BTW, it also allowed me to have both IDE drives attached simultaneously, as slave and master on the primary IDE port, and worked fine in that configuration!
    I hope that helps.
    Cheers,
    alteng

Just Joined!

hey

hey Martin iby ghost i meant what alting is saying , when u clone your hard disck u can remove the old and use the new one , it will boot normally like the old one and you will have all ur operating working.

Hi again guys,

Alteng, does this product clone all data, as in FAT32 and EXT2?

Martin,

Dublin, Ireland

Hi Guys,

I've now bought the new drive and am ready to fit it. Just one last question, as I'm not getting any clear answers in the XP forums about this. Anyone know how to locate and copy over the NTLDR, NTdetect.com and boot.ini files that make up the Windows dual boot? I know I need to copy these 3 files to a floppy and afterward restore them to the new drive but no-one in the XP forums will tell me where these are located, how I copy them and how I restore them (ie:what command line code do I type).

Sorry to post a Windows question here but this is the last issue and I'm stuck on it.

Thanks,

Martin,
    Dublin, Ireland