Find the answer to your Linux question:

View Poll Results: Should I stay or Should I go?

Voters
14. You may not vote on this poll
  • Purple Magical Flower

6 42.86%
  • Green Louie the Lizard look-a-like

8 57.14%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
I'm not sure what the choices mean, so I can't vote...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Engineer

I'm not sure what the choices mean, so I can't vote

Sorry duder - Mandrake is a purple flower renowned for it's 'magical' properties. Used a lot in herbal medicine. The logo for SuSE is a green lizard....

Anyway, is the xcomposite engine included for transparency? And the drop shadow patches to x.org / KDE?

And how does the nVidia installer work, is it an rpm or does it build like the normal nVidia installer?

Linux Engineer
    You can activate transparency in X, that I know,I recently tried, but I can't get my ATI 3D drivers to work .
    ** Registered Linux User # 393717 and proud of it ** Check out www.zenwalk.org
    ** Zenwalk 2.8 - Xfce 4.4 beta 2- 2.6.17.6 kernel = Slack on steroids! **

And you can install the nvidia drivers either via urpmi (if you add contrib and plf sources via easy urpmi) or manually.
    There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX. We don't believe this to be a coincidence.

- Jeremy S. Anderson

Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris H
    Just upgraded my Mdk 10.1 to Mandriva 2005.

Bad move. Messed up my ethernet connection, now won't go up on boot, has to be done manually each time; my superkaramba themes now show no information.; And it upset my nvidia driver (but I should've known that). Dunno what else that is upset in my system.

Read a cracking review of Suse 9.3 in LXF recently.

Go for Suse at this moment IMO.
    Chris,
    Can you elaborate a little more on this? I'm d/ling MDR 2005 DVD atm and was condering an upgrade tonight. Maybe I won't.

What's you mobo and eth card? Where you able to fix the nVidia issue?

Jeremy
    Registered Linux user #346571
    "All The Dude ever wanted was his rug back" - The Dude

Linux Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by bigtomrodney
    Sorry duder - Mandrake is a purple flower renowned for it's 'magical' properties. Used a lot in herbal medicine. The logo for SuSE is a green lizard....
    Oh, well in that case I won't vote since I don't care for either

Quote Originally Posted by bigtomrodney
    And how does the nVidia installer work, is it an rpm or does it build like the normal nVidia installer?
    The nvidia driver from Nvidia's website is a shell script that's distro-agnostic and works on every flavor of Linux I've tried (except Ubuntu). However, with SuSE you can install the Nvidia driver using Yast Online Update (YOU) and it will do all the dirty work for you. I had not been able to get this to work properly in previous versions (9.1 and 9.2) but Flatline has shed some light on a possible cause for that. I had no trouble with YOU installing the nvidia driver on SuSE 9.3 however.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    i've been using SUSE 9.2 since Dec. It's the first distro that i tried, b/c i heard that it was easy to use. So far i am happy with it.

Just Joined!
    I use Mandriva and Suse.
    SuSE has made some great improvements with their latest versions.
    Up until about 1 year ago I would have recomended SuSE for the desktop, but now I think it has caught up to Mandriva.
    Personally I still like the Mandriva feel. I run Mandriva on My work PC and My home PC.
    But I run SuSE on my laptop. I tend to pick what ever Linux version works best with my Hardware.

Tux42

urpmi ?

Hey I was talking about SuSE lol...

Gonna go SuSE, but not for a week or two. Thanks for the help guys. As for the nVidia installer, I'm all too familiar, as I said using Mandrake since latter days of v8. Really doesn't work in Ubuntu?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast