Find the answer to your Linux question:
eh..? Kind of new wih his linux..I have 1 old comp running 9.x..but now I wanted to install this new mandrake 10.2 on same comp that I have XP - ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Boot error: L 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 01... ?

eh..? Kind of new wih his linux..I have 1 old comp running 9.x..but now I wanted to install this new mandrake 10.2 on same comp that I have XP - so have a dual boot.

Thought it would be easy but noup... Running rescue/re-build boot loader etc. and everytime I try to boot my comp I get that error: "L 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 01..." and then it's stuck!?

"good" thing is that rescue works and I got my old xp boot.ini working again... But why I get that error? why boot loader dosen't work? Where is the problem? I have xp on 1 hd (4 partition), 1 hd as storage and 1 for linux.. and I'm "kind confused" what is what as I see them while "builing" boot loader..all I can see is hdc1, hdca etc... c=linux?

Just a "hint" what I should do would be nice

Was Lilo on the same Hard disk as Linux? I think that error means Lilo can't find its own config files.

After you repair LiLo, you have to run /sbin/lilo so the chages will take effect.
    How to know if you are a geek.
    when you respond to "get a life!" with "what's the URL?"
    - Birger

New users read The FAQ

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru

Re: Boot error: L 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 01.

Quote Originally Posted by microbi
    .. and I'm "kind confused" what is what as I see them while "builing" boot loader..all I can see is hdc1, hdca etc... c=linux?
    If you have a pretty normal setup with 2 IDE busses (ribbon cables to drives) then the first drive (master) on the first IDE channel (primary) is "hda". Partitions are numbered hda1, hda2, etc. hdc would be the master drive on the secondary IDE channel. You will boot to a partition (like hda1) and not to a drive (like hda). The bootloader must be installed on the MBR of the drive (not the partition) that the BIOS is set to boot to. The bootloader must be written so that it "points" to the location of the configuration files that tell the bootloader what to run next. And then the bootloader should start Linux.
    /IMHO
    //got nothin'
    ///this use to look better

Just Joined!
    Thank you all for your FAST replies

And problem solved btw - yea..me bad As I ONLY had primary master hd in BIOs...windows can find rest be itself..so never added other hd's to BIOS I tested that GRUB(?) and it said no hard disk detected! And from that I took a peek in BIOS and added those 2 "missing" hard drivers there.. Because (of course) lilo couldn't find the sec. master as it wasn't on BIOS....yea every day you learn something new

It's VERY nice too that here are ppl that are ready to help n00b like me

Thx again

(more questions coming asa I start to "learn" more about this linux enviroment )

Just Joined!

Mandriva and XP boot error

I also get a similar error: 99 999 99 99 99 99 99 99 9 999 999 (or something like that) if I choose to boot Windows. I have 2 HDD - the Primary master on wich I installed Mandriva and the Primary Slave - Win XP. LILO was installed on the MBR of the Primary Master HDD (where Mandriva was installed).

Windows XP was installed first and then I added the Primary Master HDD and installed Mandriva on it.

I have to tell you that Mandrake 10.1 installed in the same way works fine (I can boot Mandrake 10.1 either XP)

Thanks in advance

Linux Newbie
    I got the 01 01 01... error when I installed slackware ages ago