Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Well ive been over to linux again trying my hardest to follow every ones help this is my result ping.ip.of.cable brought up netmonitor after about 3 minutes i thought nothink ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Well ive been over to linux again trying my hardest to follow every ones help this is my result

ping.ip.of.cable brought up netmonitor after about 3 minutes i thought nothink was happening then it appeared as follows

eth0 sending 36 average 10
    eth0 received 0 average 0

but i also had eth1 realtek network card tab flicked to it 0 in all feilds then auto flicked back to tab1 eth0

the icon in the system tray says network is up on interface eth0
    and to get this to stay active the modem has to be static once turned into dhcp icon in system tray has red cross through it and says network is down on intrface eth0

also when trying web browser could not find usable proxy script error message pops up in top lefthand croner

i set my realtek network cards ip address one number different from eth0 which i think is my modem used same gateway address from modem and same netmask as modem only thing is iam using static instead of dhcp on modem eth0 setup

any thoughts

Um this may sound silly but, are you sure that your cable modem is plugged into eth0 and not eth1. This was a problem i encountered when setting up my linux router, for some reason the system decided that the card in 1st PCI slot was to be eth1 and card in 2nd PCI slot was to be eth0. i only realised my mistake when my LAN PC's were blocked from connecting to internet.

Have you tried running hardrake on either of the eth cards and telling it to setup a new cable connection?

Just Joined!
    iam not sure of anythink anymore i have system snapshots if anyone requires them

Just Joined!
    i dont no whats going on say i start at the beging i have a cable modem so say i configer it on eth0 go through the motions filling in various fields
    network icon says connection fine still cannot connect to internet so i try eth1 which is the realtek network card built into the mother board on my pc now i run a ethcable from modem to card to connect them now what ip address dose card need now when i reconnect to windows i have to unplug ethcable and switch to usb so would that make the modems ip address different when iam looking for it i have system snap shots to look at if requested by anyone thanks

Just Joined!
    i dont no whats going on say i start at the beging i have a cable modem so say i configer it on eth0 go through the motions filling in various fields
    network icon says connection fine still cannot connect to internet so i try eth1 which is the realtek network card built into the mother board on my pc now i run a ethcable from modem to card to connect them now what ip address dose card need now when i reconnect to windows i have to unplug ethcable and switch to usb so would that make the modems ip address different when iam looking for it i have system snap shots to look at if requested by anyone thanks

Ok, um when you set up the modem to connect on either of the eth cards, did you setup the entry under DNS server correctly? 1st DNS should be lo or 127.0.0.0 and 2nd DNS should be the ISP's DNS server and optionally you can have a third DNS server from your ISP.

Just Joined!
    alex sounds like you no a bit listen if you are a member of hotmail could i send you some sys snap shots for you to look at my email address is craigfinch1@hotmail.com and that goes for anyone else that thinks they can help heres some additional information

i have never connected to the internet through my networkcard in windows always use usb for connection so just to let you no i keep swapping them from usb to lan when i reboot in to linux

but on the upside i have tested card and it works both on linux and windows and a forum guru called d as asked me to ping windows connected to lan to see if we have a connection which i will have the results at 2030 gmt and will post them accordingly

and to answer your question alex ive wounded my self were that number came from as i never entered it in the field i will enter the numbers you sugested and post them at the same time

thanks for everyones help on this matter theres some real stars out there thanks again and see yas soon coolvibes

Just Joined!

cat got your toungs

i removed my firewire card from pci slot 6 and got another connection type that i have never seen befor so i take it that is my modem and my lan connection which is on my motherboard but still usees the pci bus and that is eth2 well i still havent got a clue what my ip address for my modem is as all the sites i try give me different results any help

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2