Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
For most of my computing life i have been a windows fan now 7 days into linux 10.1 i still can not connect to the internet even after following various ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

WAS AN XP USSER 10.1 linux for 7 days need help please

For most of my computing life i have been a windows fan now 7 days into linux 10.1 i still can not connect to the internet even after following various instruction guides from various sites down to the letter allthough my network icon is now saying ethnet0 is fine i still cant connect any help would be well should we say the difference between having xp on my hardrive in a seperate partition or being linux free help please anyone. oh my system is a p4 Ht 2.61ghz processor,ge force fx5200 agp graphics ,1.024mb ddr memory, gigabyte GA - 8s655fx-l motherboard , ntl silver cable 35100 modem(with usb and lan (using lan),realtek 8139/810 network card, 2 80gb sata hd (not raid connfigerd), soundblaster live 5.1 platinum, firewire askey com corp fw322/323,hauppauge win tv 878/9 vfw, hp 5g colorodo tape drive,cd rom,dvd rom,cd/righter,dvd/righter.many thanks

Just Joined!
    Coolvibes

Can you provide any information about your current network setup?
    Are you using DHCP or a static IP?
    Are you behind a firewall/router/proxy or directly on the internet?

Tux42

Just Joined!
    if i try dhcp the network icon in my tray goes of so i use static even though iam using ntl

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    iam not using firewall
    and i have tryed everythink

I assume that your modem is connected to router and then a lan cable runs from your box to the router?

If that is the case, goto MCC->hardware->click on networkcard and click on run configure module or something (sorry i am not at mandrake box now so dont remember the exact wording of the button). Then give your comp an ip address and set up the DNS server correctly (if you are using a router, let the router be secondary dns and let the primary dns be 127.0.0.0), else enter your isp dns server. and away you go

Just Joined!
    sorry been on holiday for a week

I have one silver ntl cable modem

i have 2 firewire socketts no devices attaced to them

i allso have a network card lan which i have the cable modem connected

i have just changed th ip address on card so its diffrent from modem

We know you have a modem and stuff. We just want to know how it is set up, refer to the diagrams below and tell us which one it is:

Internet --> Cable Modem --> Router --> Your LAN --> Your Computer
    or
    Internet --> Cable Modem -->Your Computer

The 2nd diagram assumes that you have no more computers which is connected to the internet. Based on your network setup, we can help you out better.

Just Joined!
    I think he/she has internet--> cable modem --> router --> box set up...

what i really want to know is the configuration on the router and the linux box

is the router set to DHCP or not? If not, are the static IP addresses conflicting with another machine on the network? what IP are you using for the internal network? Is it in the form 192.168.XXX.XXX? Have you accidentally set up your router to be DHCP and your computer to be static IP? are the DNS addresses set up correctly?

J

Just Joined!
    firstly lets get my gender sorted i no by the stupid questions i keep asking you think iam female sorry iam male and would go so far to say after 20 years of computing iam not stupid either the problem is i connect to the internet via the cable modem which has an ethernet cable plugged into the ethernet port on the silver ntl modem this runs to my network card with one cable so the connection is as followed internet - modem - networkcard does this help i have no other computers sharing or attached to a network as i dont have a network just one linux pc trying to access the net and i do appricate all your input as i feel quite alone and with no surport with the operating system you few gurus are my last hope thanks

Just Joined!
    Oh and just so you no iam still having to dule boot to access web through windows and belive me this hurts as iam now doing most of my everyday tasks on linux and to make matters worse i dont get messages until i reboot into windows as you no this are trying times thanks again to all you people working on my problems

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast