Find the answer to your Linux question:
from reading many posts here regarding TV cards, I've gathered that I'm not the only one who has had some issues getting this to work. I was just wondering which ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

TV card success ?

from reading many posts here regarding TV cards, I've gathered that I'm not the only one who has had some issues getting this to work. I was just wondering which TV viewing program has yielded better results for any of you, and what card you use.
    I have an ATI TV wonder and have tried many prograsms with mixed results, all falling short of my definition of success.
    any advice, opinions, feedback, info. etc. is appriciated!
    thanks
    CP

Linux Guru
    I use a BTTV based TV Tuner. It works great using any application. KDETV is nice as a computer program/TV viewer, but I prefer TV Time. It's the most TV like in functionality.

Jeremy
    Registered Linux user #346571
    "All The Dude ever wanted was his rug back" - The Dude

TvTime is good, I have a ATI TvWonder/VE and it works great, you have to make sure to have everything configured in the control center first though.
    Nothing is worse than ten penguins fighting over which is better, vi or emacs.
    Registered Linux User #404402
    Finally I'm back on LF after a long while.

Just Joined!
    this is very encouraging, as I has a tv wonder ve also , which has the booktree bttv chip.
    I will play around with the config. can you give me some pointers on setting this up, because I thought I had toyed with all the settings there were. from memory, the "configure module"
    button in the mcc lists many options, but where can I find the various appropriate arguments
    to give this?

sweet!
    thanks!
    CP

Linux Guru
    This might help:
    http://www.faqs.org/docs/Linux-mini/BTTV.html

Most of the install using Mandrake went pretty smoothly. I posted notes at lfo as I went, search for bttv using my username and you should find it. I had to make several adjustments to the pll option to get color.

Jeremy

Just Joined!
    the color was my final problem too!... I'll check it out
    THANKS!
    do you record with it, and what format do you use?
    I have a ton of vhs that are getting worse every day and I want to digitalize them before it's too late. the quality is already pretty bad, so as long as it does not get worse, space is more important than resolution.

cool.
    CP

Linux Guru
    I have not recorded anything as of yet, but it's on the todo list. From what I've read thus far, mencoder is the way to go:

http://www.mplayerhq.hu/DOCS/HTML/en/mencoder.html

Jeremy