Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
i know this might look a bit stupid question but help wud be really appreciated i have mandrake10.1 with kde3.2.Can i update the kde to kde3.4 using urpmi.Also just out ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

can i update KDE or Mandrake version using urpmi

i know this might look a bit stupid question but help wud be really appreciated

i have mandrake10.1 with kde3.2.Can i update the kde to kde3.4 using urpmi.Also just out of curosity,i also want to ask if we can update Mandrake using urpmi.

please help me if u cud
    thanx

i dont think it is possible to update to 2005 via urpmi as it is a whole new OS. but to update to kde 3.4, download the kde-base, or just type urpmi kde and select all of them

Linux Newbie
    thanx for ur reply
    i want to ask u that when we do $urpmq -i kdebase
    it shows:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Name : kdebase
    Version : 3.2.3
    Release : 99mdk
    Group : Graphical desktop/KDE
    Size : 0 Architecture: i586
    Summary : K Desktop Environment - Core files
    Name : kdebase
    Version : 3.2.3
    Release : 134.8.101mdk
    Group : Graphical desktop/KDE
    Size : 0 Architecture: i586
    Source RPM : kdebase-3.2.3-134.8.101mdk.src.rpm Build Host: updates.mandrakesoft.com
    Packager : Mandrake Linux KDE Team <kde@mandrakesoft.com>
    URL : ftp://ftp.kde.org/pub/kde/stable/3.2.3/src/
    Summary : K Desktop Environment - Core files
    Description :
    Core applications for the K Desktop Environment.
    Here is an overview of the directories:
    __________________________________________________ _______________

does that means that the soucres doesnot have version 3.4 for mandrake 10.1 community i586

i am asking this because i am allowed a restricted ammount of download through proxy server for a month and if i download it n kde still reamins 3.2 then i wud

but i can update to 3.4 plz let me know the soucre and i wud really to download that version

plz do help me
    Thanx in advance

There are some KDE 3.4 rpms available here: http://rpm.nyvalls.se/

I've heard of people having issues when using these, though, so I personally don't recommend them.
    There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX. We don't believe this to be a coincidence.

- Jeremy S. Anderson

Linux Newbie
    well browsing around the google i found that many people got messed up with their system using Thacs rpms for kde 3.4

does any body know when KDE3.4 releases for mandrake 10.1?
    can i try to update kde to Kde 3.3.if yes can anyone give the link of reliable rpms for kde 3.3

Thanx Flatline for ur advice

The trick is that Mandrake has a history of backporting features from newer versions to the versions they ship with. They usually don't release "official" rpms of the newer KDE versions, so you get stuck with semi-dodgy homemade releases. It's usually a better idea in my experience to stick with what Mandrake gives you (but then again, I just can't resist getting myself into trouble sometimes ).
    There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX. We don't believe this to be a coincidence.

- Jeremy S. Anderson

Linux Newbie
    hey thanx for ur reply
    now help me out through this one.

i am trying to complile superkaramba
    i did $./configure
    first i gave error about c++ compiler i installed it using urpmi

now when i again gave the above commands it says:
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    checking for X... configure: error: Can't find X includes. Please check your installation and add the correct paths!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

am i giving a wrong command ??or do i need to install something else

one more thing i got some material regarding upgrading ur system through urpmi

can I upgrade my current version of mandrake to the latest?
    A: Yes, the process I used for an upgrade of mdk 9.0 to 10 community is as follows:

1) urpmi.removemedia -a
    2) urpmi.addmedia usc-main http://mirrors.usc.edu/pub/linux/dis.../Mandrake/RPMS with ../base/hdlist.cz
    3) urpmi.addmedia usc-contrib http://mirrors.usc.edu/pub/linux/dis...Mandrake/RPMS2 with ../base/hdlist2.cz
    4) urpmi urpmi
    a) watch for questions, always answer y for yes
    b) might get a few GPG or md5sum errors, ignore them
    5) urpmi --auto-select
    a) same as #4, watch for Y,N questions, answer y for yes
    6) urpmi kernel
    a) choose kernel version appropriate for your system (smp, enterprise, 2.6, whatever)
    7) reboot
    cat /etc/mandrake-release =)
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

will it work if i try to update from 10.1 to 10.2or later version.wat u(Flatline n others) recommend shud i give it a try??

checking for X... configure: error: Can't find X includes. Please check your installation and add the correct paths!
    That tells me you need to install the development packages for X. Is there no version of karamba included?

- Jeremy S. Anderson

Linux Newbie
    Thanx dude
    as u might have known from my last few posts that i am new user to mandrake and can u tell me wat from where do i get the development package of X.

no theres no version of karamba included

If you go into the Mandrake Control Center (Configure My Computer in the System section of the kmenu) there is a section that lets you install/remove software, etc. You can do a search for the packages there.

- Jeremy S. Anderson

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast