Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I've downloaded the 10.2 le2005 version and as soon as I've gone to try and install it it hangs on the licence accept. I previously tried to install 10.1 but ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Installing Mandriva problems

I've downloaded the 10.2 le2005 version and as soon as I've gone to try and install it it hangs on the licence accept. I previously tried to install 10.1 but that would only get as far as formatting the partitions. From what I can gather when its booting up to install on the 10.1 version it has trouble contacting the hard drives. it keeps showing "lost interupt". Any ideas to what I can do to stop this and get mandriva installed?

It's probably a hardware problem of some sort, but we'd all like to see your specs. What are you installing onto: laptop or PC? Please post details of drives, graphics cards (these can cause problems for some) etc. Even your mouse... We need... the naked truth :o
    I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. - Pablo Picasso

Just Joined!
    ok. its a pc. I have a maxtor diamond plus 9 160gb hard drive, a pioneer 106 dvd writer, a generic cd drive. a gforce 5700 128mb graphics card, a sound blaster audigy 2 zs sound card, 256mb ram, an amd athlon 1400xp processor, a logitch mouse, generic keyboard, a usb 2.0 card and a firewire card. anything else you wanna know?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Well, this one is difficult to say the least. I would make an assumption (which is very dangerous!) and guess that you are right about your hard drive being the problem. The 'lost interrupt' is something I've seen before with my own machine.

I think you might need to reformat the drive prior to installation - there may be some bad sectors. These are generic guesses and I would appreciate comments from someone else ...

If you have a spare hard drive, you might want to whack it in there and try that

Sorry to be vague.

More Info.
    http://www.greenend.org.uk/rjk/2002/...interrupt.html
    I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. - Pablo Picasso

Just Joined!
    I've tried with a couple of hard drives and it just says the same thing. dunno what to do

Hmm... I wonder if it's possible to pass a command to the kernel during the installation. Reading the document I flagged earlier, the kernel might not be probing for your disk in the right way.... I don't know why this would be the case though.

I've never installed Mandriva in anything other than a graphical environment... This looks very much like something which needs reconfiguring in your IDE bus.

EDIT
    ----------
    I've checked some other forums and they suggest booting using the 'noacpi' option. This may get you further in the install. You may have motherboard issues as well... could be the root of your problem.

Just Joined!
    I think I've managed to come to the root of the problem.
    I saw it was accepting the devices on IDE 0 quite happily so after a bit of a juggle about, removing the cd drive and putting both the hard drive and the dvd writer on IDE 0, it seems to be installing ok now.

so as you said, it must be a problem with the motherboard. I also tried Yoper and had the same problem. Other linux OS's I've tried have worked ok.

Will find out the motherboard make and number when i get home just incase anyone else has the same problem. But then again, it could just be the bios it doesn't like

Pleased you've got somewhere. It's hard to pin down exactly what is the problem, but at least you know it's related to an IDE channel... And you're right, it could be the motherboard/BIOS or a combination of several things

Just Joined!

same problem

Hey,
    I am having the same problem. I have downloaded the mandriva iso's twice now. the first time it would hang with a graphical scene so i couldnt tell what was going on. the second time (second batch of iso's i downloaded from a different mirror) it tells me the lost interupt / missing error. well, just like that guy i have my cd drives on ide 0 channel and hard drives on ide 1 channel. i can swap em but i wonder if that will screw up the other installs. i have three other linux oses (fedora, vector and suse). since the grub.conf file accesses the kernel's by hdc9,hdc11 etc i wonder if those things would screw up even if i edit the .conf file. also, theres one other message i got when i installed vector but didnt cause any trouble-"BIOS did not set the cache bits correctly, no native mode, will detect irqs later" or something on those lines.
    my config/specs

AMD Sempron 2800+
    Chaintech VNF3-250 MB
    1GB memory
    Radeon 9800 Pro
    compaq MV520 monitor

I have updated my BIOS to the latest update from chaintech's site. i dont know what else i could do. also i am having trouble installing 'Simply MEPIS 3.3.1'. wonder if anyone has any idea about that. says out of frequency range of the monitor after about a minute starting the cd, then the monitor basically shuts off.

Help anyone please!!

Quote Originally Posted by skitty
    I've tried with a couple of hard drives and it just says the same thing. dunno what to do
    If it happened on a couple of hard drives, I'd say it's a bad burn. When burning ISOs, you may want to try burning at the lowest speed (2x or 4x).

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast