Find the answer to your Linux question:
This might be asked alot but any way. Is there any way I can install the mandrake live cd on to my harddrive. Thanks...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

SORRY

This might be asked alot but any way.
    Is there any way I can install the mandrake live cd on to my harddrive.
    Thanks

Most LiveCDs are not installable. Companies like SuSE release LiveCDs as a way for people to get a feel for using the operating system without actually modifying any data on their computers, as well as giving people a free demo that you can't install, thus making you want to buy the product if you like the demo. I'm not sure if this is the case with Mandrake, however.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!

thanks

all rite cheers any way.
    BTW I thought all linux distros were free so why are suse charging us for it.
    Is mandrake free?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close

Re: thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gibb89
    all rite cheers any way.
    BTW I thought all linux distros were free so why are suse charging us for it.
    Is mandrake free?
    This is a hard one to explain, because you need to know the difference between "free" (no cost) and "free" (open-source). They're not the same thing.

All Linux distributions are free (open-source) meaning you can download the source code at no cost to you and fiddle with it however you like. This is different from companies like Microsoft who keep their source code a tightly guarded secret.

Not all Linux distributions are free (no cost) however. Mandrake, SuSE, Xandros, Linspire, Lycoris, and TurboLinux are just a few companies that charge for the operating system. What they charge for is not the OS itself since you can download that anywhere at no cost. What they *do* charge for is manuals, tech support, and their particular "style" of packaging the kernel and software into one shiny package that's easier for you to install.

Mandrake offers the exact same OS that they sell in stores for free download. Basically you only pay for it if you want the manuals and support.

SuSE offers a free install via FTP about 3 months after their boxed retail set ships to stores. They sometimes offer a minimal install CD or DVD as well, like they did with SuSE 9.2.

Linspire basically gives away the OS, but charges for their subscription service that allows you to download and install programs with a single click.

Xandros and TurboLinux offer modified versions of Linux with some special applications that are not free (open-source) or free (no cost), which they made themselves or paid someone to make (Xandros File Manager and PowerDVD for example).

Some distributions like Fedora Core and Debian (which is what Linspire and Xandros are based on) are completely free (both no cost and open source). Which of these you choose is up to you. The distributions that you pay for will generally be easier to set up and give you manuals and/or phone or email support if you have any questions. The free (no cost) distributions will not, since they can't pay for the tech support or the printing of manuals (obviously).
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    great that clears it up, also could you point me to a website which lists all the avaliable linux live cds for download.
    I can only use the live cds because ive just got a new laptop and im worried that installing linux on to the hard drive will void my warranty.
    Unfortunalty sony vaio (the manufactire) have a very cr@p support site so I can find my answer.
    thanks

http://www.distrowatch.com

This site has hundreds of distributions, some LiveCDs, some installable, some installable LiveCDs. Haha. It should be enough to keep you busy for a while. One of the most popular LiveCD distributions is Knoppix. There's a link to it in the "rankings" on the right hand side.
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants