Find the answer to your Linux question:
Can anyone help me sort this out please? lol I've changed the permissions thinking I was granting access to myself as a user to /usr/share/mdk/backgrounds/, but I've locked myself out ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Permissions Problem

Can anyone help me sort this out please? lol I've changed the permissions thinking I was granting access to myself as a user to /usr/share/mdk/backgrounds/, but I've locked myself out from most other things in the process.

Now I can only get to my own folder /home/michael. If I try the up button to go to /home, it tells me "Unable to enter file:/home/ You do not have access rights to this location."

What I was trying to do was grant rights to /usr/share/mdk/backgrounds/ so that I could copy some wallpapers over so I added my own rule, but deleted it afterwards.

What are the usual groups for a normal user? I am a member of the "michael" group at the moment.

I've just reinstalled Mandrake 10 after trying redhat so my home location in Konqueror is still set to file:/usr/share/doc/HTML/index.html

However, when I load it, I now get this:

An error occurred while loading file:/usr/share/doc/HTML/index.html:
    Access denied to /usr/share/doc/HTML/index.html

How can I restore the permissions?

Security level is set to highest. I did that because I'm setting up a webserver etc. If I drop that to normal or whatever I can get back to that page, but I don't want to alter the security level if I can help it.

What a muppet I am! :o

into a terminal, type:
    Code:
    su
    enter root passwd: 
    cd /usr/share/mdk
    chmod 606 /backgrounds
    606 = rw permissions for user and others
    1st number = permission for user
    2nd number = permission for group
    3rd number = permission for other

0 = block
    4 = read
    6 = read + write
    7 = read + write + execute

not dont use the 7 if theres no programs to be run in that directory, best is to use 6.

Just Joined!
    Thank you very much for your help.

I should really buy myself a dummies guide to Linux or something!

Thanks again.