Find the answer to your Linux question:
I would have thought that locating a kernel to download would be simple, but I cannot find mandrake 10.1 kernel 2.6.8.1.24mdk. I need to update the current kernel to that ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

need to download kernel

I would have thought that locating a kernel to download would be simple, but I cannot find mandrake 10.1 kernel 2.6.8.1.24mdk. I need to update the current kernel to that version, and when told to install it, it said it was not anywhere to install, so I need to download it. I just can't find it. Help?

Just Joined!

Re: need to download kernel

Quote Originally Posted by pchw
    I would have thought that locating a kernel to download would be simple, but I cannot find mandrake 10.1 kernel 2.6.8.1.24mdk. I need to update the current kernel to that version, and when told to install it, it said it was not anywhere to install, so I need to download it. I just can't find it. Help?

Why do you want to use the old kernel when new one is out?

i just downloaded the kernel and used it in slack and mandrake.
    its working fine.
    if u want the kernel i will send u the url.

bharath

It is very unlikely that you need an older kernel. The only case I could think of for something like this would be a 2.6 to 2.4 switch, which is not what you're doing.

That said, if you truly need to change your kernel version, just hit www.kernel.org and grab the latest sources. You need to configure and compile it yourself, though.

Just Joined!
    I am not asking for an older kernel. It loaded with kernel 2.6.8.1.12, and am working on a problem. I was told to load kernel 2.6.8.24, which looks to me like it is newer than what it came stock with. Is this wrong? Thanks for the information and I will see about getting information on configuring and compiling, as I am new to this,.

Ah, well, the current kernel version is 2.6.11.10 . So we were a little confused.

Anyway, once you download and extract the source, let us know if you need help configuring it and we can help out.

Just Joined!
    I didn't know there was a newer kernel. I was just downloading what I was told to download. This is for mandrake linux 10.1. Does the kernel you mention work for that flavor? I am trying to get the system to recognize my cdrom, and was told to download the other one so it would recognize it, but it didn't work. Do you have any idea if this kernel you refer to would recognize it? It is an nec dvd +/-rw nd-6500a.