Find the answer to your Linux question:
Ok, this is VERY irritating... I just updated to Mandrake 10.1 and for some reason, my graphics driver does not work anymore... So I thought "OK, i'll go to Nvidia ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

NVidia Drivers

Ok, this is VERY irritating...

I just updated to Mandrake 10.1 and for some reason, my graphics driver does not work anymore...

So I thought "OK, i'll go to Nvidia and update the driver"

I download the file and start the update process, and it suddenly stops and says that it has no configuration files for my kernel and that it can't write them on its own.

I've tried a hell of a lot of things to get this working and nothing has worked, so if ANYONE has figured out how to do this (And I figure I'm not the first to have this problem as 10.1 has been out a while and I've been too lazy to upgrade...), I would REALLY appreciate a bit of help!!

Sys:
    AMD Athlon XP 2700+
    Nvidia GeForceFX 5600 256mb
    512 mb Ram
    Mandrake 10.1
    Kernel 2.4

Thanks in advance

Linux User

Linux Newbie
    Ok, while I print out that link, I have a few questions, just to see if I understand all this:

1. This will upadte my kernel as well as the NVidia drivers, correct?

2. The whole kernel update thing is automated, all I have to do is type in the given commands?

Linux is still deep water, even though I've been using it almost a year and a half, I've not updated the kernel before (and it seems i'm about to) so i just want to know what exactly I'll be doing before i actually do it...

thanks again!

Linux User
    1. As far as I know, I don't think it's necessary to update the kernel, but it is recommended to do so. For the nVidia drivers, you'll need to download most likely the lastest version from the nVidia site.

2. It should be automated besides you entering commands. It pretty much an update, so the system should be doing that on it's own, unless, of course, you downloaded the source yourself and decided to compile it.

If anyone wants to add anything or even correct if I'm wrong, please feel free to do so. Hope this helps you out.

Linux Newbie

!!!

Hey thanks it worked out ok!!!

I've still got problems (who doesn't?) but my card is running again and the problems are non-card related (and I know how to fix em!)!!

Thanks for the help!