Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am unable to access any files or folders using Konqueror when logged on as a normal user. If I click on any folder icons konqueror attempts to load and ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Strange things happening with konqueror. Please Help.

I am unable to access any files or folders using Konqueror when logged on as a normal user. If I click on any folder icons konqueror attempts to load and the button displays the revolving egg timer on the taskbar for half a minute and then dissappears without loading konqueror. However if I log on as root and start konqueror from shell it loads up and works fine.
    I suspect it may have something to do with me trying to load a macromedia flash plug in recently which was recommended from a webpage and which was unsuccessful (wish I'd never bothered!)
    Any ideas as to how i can get konqueror working normally again would be greatly appreciated.
    Roly

Linux Engineer
    Have you tried another file manager, Krusader for example? Do you have the same problem there?
    ** Registered Linux User # 393717 and proud of it ** Check out www.zenwalk.org
    ** Zenwalk 2.8 - Xfce 4.4 beta 2- 2.6.17.6 kernel = Slack on steroids! **

Just Joined!
    No,
    as I don't have another file manager installed. I'm running Mandriva 10.1.

I can run mozilla firefox web browser ok though.

Roly

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru
    First thing, run Konq from the command line and see if you get any specific error messages.

Second thing, as a last restort, you can delete your user profile for Konq and start over.

Jeremy
    Registered Linux user #346571
    "All The Dude ever wanted was his rug back" - The Dude

Just Joined!
    I just had this problem recently also, and it was due to having just installed a USB Smartmedia card reader. There was a "runaway" process in KDE that was sapping up 70% or more. Apparently it's a bug in KDE with USB readers.

check out http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/topic-41723.html that's where the guys 'round here sent me. I ended up disconnecting the reader when I'm not using because I don't use it often. Another solution was to use GNOME, or Nautilus File Manager. You'll get it though. (I am using Mandrive 10.1)

Just Joined!
    Sorted it out now.
    Yes it was the USB card reader.
    Now all working fine.
    Thanks
    Roly