Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am using mandriva 2005 and audacity recording audio to hard drive. I need to convert these large files to mp3 and audacity can not do it with out "lame". ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

need help in converting wav to mp3

I am using mandriva 2005 and audacity recording audio to hard drive. I need to convert these large files to mp3 and audacity can not do it with out "lame". have tried to find an RPM for my distro, but have not been successful. I downloaded the source but cant compile it do to errors and files missing etc, and my experience in that area is limited also certain RPM's that I found that might work for me require alot of other "dependencies" Do these also need to be compiled or are there rpms availiable that contain everything needed in one package, I have used lame with windows and it was as easy as dragging a DLL file into the Audacity plugins folder, isnt there a quick and easy way for linux. If some one could give me an easy to understand step by step I would greatly appreciate it I am going to run out of hard drive space at the rate I am going with wav files.

Thank You in advance.

Linux Guru
    Unfortunately because of the debacle happening with MP3 copyright, distributing lame or bladeenc etc is illegal in binary form, so you need to download source and compile it yourself. However, it's not that difficult, just
    Code:
    ./configure && make && make install

Have you considered using Ogg/Vorbis as an alternative? Compression is better.

Linux Guru
    You can configure URPMI to include the PLF sources, then you can get LAME and all the other encoders that don't come with the distro, too. Follow the instructions on the webpage below, then they'll appear in the add software section of MCC.

http://easyurpmi.zarb.org/

Good luck!
    Jeremy
    Registered Linux user #346571
    "All The Dude ever wanted was his rug back" - The Dude

Just Joined!

Problem with Lame fixed

Problem with lame fixed. apparently the file I downloaded from sourceforge was missing some needed files, I downloaded it again and the file size was larger the second time and it compiled and installed just fine and works too.
    must have been a bad download or something
    Thanks for the replys