Find the answer to your Linux question:
when booting up it slows down and seems to stop for about a minute.mount usb filesystem ok is the last line.i have installed fc3 and suse without this prob.also it ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

slow boot up

when booting up it slows down and seems to stop for about a minute.mount usb filesystem ok is the last line.i have installed fc3 and suse without this prob.also it doesnt see my usb webcam or printer,any way to get these seen.plus are there any chat programs like msn that use webcams,i have gaim installed but doesnt support webcams.i am still a newbie as far as linux is concerned,so any straight forward advice welcome.

Just Joined!
    Hi,

Perhaps, many un-required services are running on your system resulting in a slow bootup. You can try to switch off the un-required services at the current startup level.
    Try using chkconfig command to configure these services. If you dont know how to use chkconfig, try "man chkconfig".
    Also note that you need to have root privileges to configure the system's services.

Linux Engineer

Re: slow boot up

Quote Originally Posted by johnboy1967
    when booting up it slows down and seems to stop for about a minute.mount usb filesystem ok is the last line.i have installed fc3 and suse without this prob.also it doesnt see my usb webcam or printer,any way to get these seen.plus are there any chat programs like msn that use webcams,i have gaim installed but doesnt support webcams.i am still a newbie as far as linux is concerned,so any straight forward advice welcome.
    Webcam support is very spotty. There's a project to backport webcam support into gaim, but it's in the early stages and I don't expect anything great for some time yet.
    Registered Linux user #384279
    Vector Linux SOHO 7

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Is your webcam plugged in on boot? Sometimes I used to find that in 10.1 Mandrake would try to mount my USB mouse. Well, I'm kind of guessing - It would hang on boot at "Mounting USB Filesystem" but when the USB mouse was the only device plugged in. Seems to be gone now - though I'm finding Portmap quite slow in LE2005. I tried disabling it for the skit but I get a Sun Portmapper coming up on boot in it's place which enables regular Portmapper service for next boot.

Weird.