Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi I'm a complete newbie to linux just bought the system mandriva 2005LE yesterday so bear with me. When I got the PC home I set it all up and ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

login problem

Hi I'm a complete newbie to linux just bought the system mandriva 2005LE yesterday so bear with me.
    When I got the PC home I set it all up and switched on and it booted into
    root and I could not get out of root, so I did a reinstall from the supplied disc this asked me for a user name and password which I configured.
    Now when I boot it goes through the loading process then comes to login
    I type user name then enter get password so I type that & enter again,
    this is where I'm stuck screen says [jack@localhost~]$
    Now I dont know what response the PC wants from me (no handbook you see) would an erase and complete reinstall do any good, any help appreciated

mandriva

come on guy's I'm getting frustrated here

I decided to have a go with the linux OS so rather than install it on my windows PC went for a new multimedia machine with mandriva2005SE installed
    when I boot the PC it goes to a login screen so I type my user name (jack) then asks for pasword xxxxxxxxx
    then on screen I get:- last login:sat may28 11:03:31 on/tty1
    [jack@localhost~]$

and thats as far as I get I assume it's waiting for a response from me but havent a clue are there any linux users here that can help

Linux User
    Seems like you installed Mandriva without a GUI startup. What happens when you try typing in the command line after logging in?:

Code:
    startx

Quote Originally Posted by soulbrothax831
    Seems like you installed Mandriva without a GUI startup. What happens when you try typing in the command line after logging in?:

Code:
    startx
    Tried what you said soulbrothax831 typed in startx and sure enough it started to load periphials stopped on the world map for a while then went to a
    blank white screen with just the cursor arrow and goes no further
    by the way GUI startup what/where?

login

Ok I finaly got the system to boot correctly did it by loging into root first having a look around changed the X server to KDE logged out and logged back in to localhost and bingo it worked thanks soulbrothax831 for your initial startx tip youd have thought the vendor would have given me a few tips