Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi I'm running Mandriva 10.1 using Icewm. But I also want to use Konqueror. KDE is installed but not running. If I use Konqueror (and some other apps) I get ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Icewm, konqueror and dcop server

Hi

I'm running Mandriva 10.1 using Icewm. But I also want to use Konqueror. KDE is installed but not running. If I use Konqueror (and some other apps) I get "dcop server not running". The program then does what I need after I click OK, but I'd like to understand more.

Now I know Konqueror and dcop are kde stuff. Can I start dcop without starting kde? That would probably be enough. (My main app, Realsoft 3d, doesn't work properly under kde for me)

The terminal program installed (xterm?) also gives me the same dcop message. I thought it was independant.

Thanks
    George

does this happen if you logon as root? If not, then have a look at the .ICEauthority file in your home directory (ls .ICE* -alF) and see if your user owns it or if root owns it. It should be your user. If root owns it, then, as root, do a "chown username:username /home/username/.ICEauthority".

As to what is causing it. Don't know, still trying to find the culperate. Happens if I run Gnome, or KDE, or xfce.

If you find out, please let me know.

Nerderello

Use Suse 10.1 and occasionally play with Kubuntu
    Also have Windows 98SE and BeOS

Linux Engineer
    Hey guys.. What are you using for logging in to the system. I'm using IceWM, but use KDM as my login manager. dcop starts without a hitch on boot up.
    Registered Linux user #384279
    Vector Linux SOHO 7

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Hi

I've just tried Nerderello's answer and it worked fine. Now I log in to see the second solution.

I don't know what login manager I use. Didn't know I had a choice. On installing Mandriva it asked me if I wanted to login 1 user automatically and it just does.

Where do I look to change this?

Thanks

retired1af,
    I didn't used to have this problem. I have happily used Redhat 7.3, then 8.0 , then 9.0 then Fedora Core 1 then 2 and now 3, with no problems.

Then, after upgrading some KDE libs, this .ICEauthority problem reared its ugly head. Obviosuly, I immediately un-upgraded the libs, but to no avail.

I now have a line in /etc/rc.d/rc.local that does a chown at every boot (line = " chown nerderello:nerderello /home/nerderello/.ICEauthority " ). Not a very good fix, but all I've come up with so far.

To answer your question, I use KDM, but will see if GDM, or XDM make any difference.

Nerderello

I think that I've narrowed the .ICEauthority problem down to using sudo to run programs written for KDE while not in KDE (I used to use sudo to run kppp while operating from withing Gnome or xfce).

Nerderello