Find the answer to your Linux question:
Ok, everything was going fine, until I got to the summary, well I should've got to the summary at least. The blue background is there, but the active part of ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Installation problems

Ok, everything was going fine, until I got to the summary, well I should've got to the summary at least. The blue background is there, but the active part of the screen is just blank white, and I've left it for about 10 minutes now. Should I reboot?

Thanks for any help.

Ben.

(this is the 2005 Limited Edition Mandriva Linux that was free with the Linux Magazine)

Re: Installation problems

Quote Originally Posted by -Ben-
    Ok, everything was going fine, until I got to the summary, well I should've got to the summary at least. The blue background is there, but the active part of the screen is just blank white, and I've left it for about 10 minutes now. Should I reboot?

Thanks for any help.

Ben.

(this is the 2005 Limited Edition Mandriva Linux that was free with the Linux Magazine)
    ok Ben I'm a newbie also had the same prob myself what I did was reboot into root
    find the control panel and changed my Xserver to KDE rebooted back into localhost and that fixed my problem you could try that, do'nt ask me where to find Xserver just take a look at the options in control panel and make a note of anything you change so you can change it back if it do'nt work good luck

Just Joined!
    Thanks for the reply.

Ok, so I rebooted, and it comes up with the Linux screen and asks me what OS I want to use - Linux or Linuxfb or Failsafe. None of them work. Linux will start loading, and there'll be a loading bar, then it'll just stop. So, it offers the option of seeing what is going on in 'Verbose' mode. It does all its checks and everything's fine until.....the last command line is "Finding portmapper:" . After that it does nothing, and as I'm a complete Linux newbie I have no idea what to do anyone else got any ideas?

Ben.

Linux Newbie
    Try a fresh install. It might work then .

I always find portmapper to be quite slow...but it sounds like it might not be there. Did the install definitely finish correctly? Once a system is up and running a reinstallation could usually be avoided, this isn't windows so there's no registry to get screwed up! However it sounds like something wasn't put in correctly, so maybe try a reinstall before we go any further.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by bigtomrodney
    I always find portmapper to be quite slow...but it sounds like it might not be there. Did the install definitely finish correctly? Once a system is up and running a reinstallation could usually be avoided, this isn't windows so there's no registry to get screwed up! However it sounds like something wasn't put in correctly, so maybe try a reinstall before we go any further.
    ...responding on behalf of Ben so he gets a quick response:

Each time we try to install, it freezes after installing the bootloader, as Ben described. We have no choice but to do a hard reset. Then when it boots, it freezes at portmapper.

This happens over and over each time (always freezes at same point, every install)