Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Aha, postfix is a mail server. For more on it, check the faq: http://www.postfix.org/faq.html or just the site: http://www.postfix.org/ You don't need it to get your email from the account ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Aha, postfix is a mail server. For more on it, check the faq:
    http://www.postfix.org/faq.html

or just the site:
    http://www.postfix.org/

You don't need it to get your email from the account that you have at your ISP. I have 2 distros and neither have the file you mentioned

So, I'd suggest trying again to setup an account with the information for your ISP's mail server(s). You can find the settings on their internet page, if not, you could just call them.
    Stumbling around the 'net:
    www.cloudyuseful.com

postfix

Thanks psic but at present it's all irelevant anyway as I seem to have a major problem with the linux OS as I have not had it for a week will have to take it back to the supplier so watch this space

ps: thank god I've still got my windows XP machine

kmail

OK finally got my email configured .My fault was not entering correct info thought coz I was connected via router would find automatic.
    my other internet problem has not however been solved.
    I can access internet via konqueror but cannot connect with firefox always times out for some reason help with this appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by retired1af
    Sounds as if you have a proxy setting in Firefox that needs to be removed or adjusted.
    Sounds like what retired1af mentioned. I've never had any proxies settup, but check the settings under edit/preferences...
    www.cloudyuseful.com

Quote Originally Posted by psic
    Quote Originally Posted by retired1af
    Sounds as if you have a proxy setting in Firefox that needs to be removed or adjusted.
    Sounds like what retired1af mentioned. I've never had any proxies settup, but check the settings under edit/preferences...
    just took a look in settings ie:- no proxy for local host 127.0.0.1, just a dot in direct connection to the internet can't think what the problem could be (something simple no doubt)

Sorry for the 'no answer', I lost this thread. Anyways, what happens when you try to access the net with Firefox? Does it time out for every site you try? In your place, I'd compare the settings for firefox with those for konqueror. This is a fresh install, yes?
    www.cloudyuseful.com

Quote Originally Posted by psic
    Sorry for the 'no answer', I lost this thread. Anyways, what happens when you try to access the net with Firefox? Does it time out for every site you try? In your place, I'd compare the settings for firefox with those for konqueror. This is a fresh install, yes?
    Hi psic

not been online for a while other probs.
    The email is all sorted now my fault not configured right.
    As for firefox that was a router problem for some reason gopt myself a new linksys WAG54G for another application I was using and firefox sprung to life.
    Anyway thanks for your continued interest in my problems, perhaps you could help me with another.
    Being a complete newbie to Linux OS having difficulty installing downloaded tarballs, I know it's all down to the right commands but every time I try one's I find on web searches they dont work if I type tar --help I get what I considder gobbeldygook.
    So if you could give me step by step instructions maybe I could try those.

Uf, sorry but I've never used Mandrake/Mandriva, so I don't know about the packaging sistem it uses. I've found something which should help you:
    http://doc.mandrivalinux.com/Mandrak...and-Line.html/

Here's the part on installing software:
    http://doc.mandrivalinux.com/Mandrak...t-install.html

I hope these two links help. It seems easy enough, reminds me of Suse a bit (Suse is the first distro I used).

As for tarballs, I'm assuming that you are downloading source code. I use Ark to unpack any tarballs (Ark is a great program for unpacking anything, including .zip files). Then you have to move to the directory that has just been untared (you have to do this in the console) with the 'cd' command. For instance, I download something.tar.bz2. I untar it to /home/me/temp. I open up a console, and do 'cd temp' to move to the temp folder. Then I 'ls' so it lists all of the files in the temp folder. I use 'cd' again, this time with the name of the folder that was untared (cd something).

After this, run './configure' (this can take a while if you have a large program and a slow processor). After it finishes, run 'make' (this can also take time). Once it finishes, run 'make install' and you have your new app installed

This is called compiling from source, and it usually helps the programs run a tad faster. Though if you install like this, then the package manager will not recognise the installed package (you will not be able to remove it with the package manager).
    www.cloudyuseful.com

rpmdrake

Your a star psic m8 did'nt even know this utility existed in my OS nothing about this has come up on google searches now I feel I'm getting somwhere thanks to you.
    Will study rpmdrake as usre before going into root to do an install,
    once again thanks and keep in touch

Check out this site it's great -
    [url=http://easyurpmi.zarb.org]

Select a lot of mirrors near to you geographically (if you're in England the Dublin heanet servers are ridiculously fast 1Gb connection). copy all of the output you get from the page, open a text file and type -
    Code:
    #!/bin/bash

(paste contents from site here)
    and save the contents to your home directory as repos (for example)
    then from a konsole (command line) type su and enter your root password. Type
    Code:
    sh repos
    while connected to the net, and it will update all of you urpmi repositories. You can now install the latest packages directly from the net on demand, and run updates.

for ease - here is the script I ran (I'm located in Dublin)
    Code:
    #!/bin/bash
    urpmi.addmedia plf-free ftp://ftp.free.fr/pub/Distributions_Linux/plf/mandrake/free/10.2 with hdlist.cz
    urpmi.addmedia plf-nonfree ftp://ftp.free.fr/pub/Distributions_Linux/plf/mandrake/non-free/10.2 with hdlist.cz
    urpmi.addmedia --update updates ftp://ftp.heanet.ie/mirrors/ftp.mandrake.com/Mandrakelinux/official/updates/LE2005/main_updates/ with media_info/hdlist.cz
    urpmi.addmedia main ftp://ftp.heanet.ie/pub/mandrake/Mandrakelinux/official/2005/i586/media/main with media_info/hdlist.cz
    urpmi.addmedia contrib ftp://ftp.heanet.ie/pub/mandrake/Mandrakelinux/official/2005/i586/media/contrib with media_info/hdlist.cz
    urpmi.addmedia jpackage ftp://ftp.heanet.ie/pub/mandrake/Mandrakelinux/official/2005/i586/media/jpackage with media_info/hdlist.cz

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast