Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Hi managed to get internet connection using konqueror but cannot get connection with firefox for some reason also can't figure out how to configure emal is there a tutorial someone ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

email

Hi managed to get internet connection using konqueror but cannot get connection with firefox for some reason also can't figure out how to configure emal is there a tutorial someone can point me to thanks

Linux Engineer
    Sounds as if you have a proxy setting in Firefox that needs to be removed or adjusted.

What email program are you trying to use?
    Registered Linux user #384279
    Vector Linux SOHO 7

email

Quote Originally Posted by retired1af
    Sounds as if you have a proxy setting in Firefox that needs to be removed or adjusted.

What email program are you trying to use?
    will take a look re proxy setting do'nt think I have though tried kontact & kmail no luck with either keep getting message creat an account for sending but can't figure how

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    How to create an account? Most mail programs ask you to create an account when you run them the first time. Otherwise, there is ususally an option in the menu to create a new account (somewhere like 'configuration' or 'account'). I've set up accounts in a ton of different programs (the latest being Sylpheed Claws, my favourite yet), if you have any trouble, just ask!
    Stumbling around the 'net:
    www.cloudyuseful.com

email account

Quote Originally Posted by psic
    How to create an account? Most mail programs ask you to create an account when you run them the first time. Otherwise, there is ususally an option in the menu to create a new account (somewhere like 'configuration' or 'account'). I've set up accounts in a ton of different programs (the latest being Sylpheed Claws, my favourite yet), if you have any trouble, just ask!
    Well psic my friend just one email account is all need for now no matter what host name I enter in inward mail I get message Kontact error cannot connect to user.org

You have to enter two servers: incoming and outgoing. For each, there might be different security options (things like ssl). First off, you have to have an email account with someone who offers POP3 forwarding (so that you can actually get the email into the program, say Kmail). One good choice would be gmail (www.gmail.com). They have the settings on their page (once you sign up for an email account at gmail, click on 'settings'). These settings are:

for incoming server:
    address: pop.gmail.com
    userID: your address without the @gmail.com
    you also have to use ssl (I can't remember where in Kmail this is, you should be able to find someplace to put a checkmark)

for outgoing server:
    address: smtp.gmail.com
    (this also uses ssl, I think)

Sometimes, you get an email account with your ISP which should also offer pop3 forwarding. Another place is Yahoo, but I think that the generic @yahoo.com will not let you use pop3, @yahoo.co.uk does, however, you just pretend you are from england Where ever you get your account, you should be able to find the relevant server settings such as those above.
    www.cloudyuseful.com

psic

allready have a pop3 email account with my ISP I am in England as it happens am entering my details exactly as I do on my XP machine.
    The one thing I should mention I'm connected to me Xp PC via router Lan connection (using broadband 1 meg) dunno if this makes a diffrence.
    the only way I get an internet connection is with konquerer can't get connected with mozilla.
    I can access my email when I'm connected via konquerer by going to my ISPs web page but would like to configure kmail if pos
    thanks for trying to help by the way.

If you can connect with konqueror, there should not be a connection problem. I really don't know what could be going wrong, if you enter the server addresses correctly. Try playing with the ssl settings? Usually, the main problem is with the incoming server, most outgoing servers are not password protected. Also, do you maybe have to enable pop3 forwarding online?

edit: I've just thought of one more thing: you don't have any weird firewall configuration that might be getting in the way, do you?
    www.cloudyuseful.com

kmail

psic mate I get a feeling it's something to do with host name when I boot and use interactive mode (a pain really but you get time to read what's going on)
    get a message that tells me it's not a valid host name and to go to "etc/postfix/main.cf to sort but as yet have'nt a clue what to do will have to read up a bit more.

Right now, I'm running Morphix as a live cd and I don't have /etc/postfix/ at all... I'll check when I get home. I'll dig around when I get home, I'll let you know if I find anything
    www.cloudyuseful.com

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast