Find the answer to your Linux question:
I hope that, since this is specific to mandriva, this is the right place to post this, rather than in networking. Basically, I have just upgraded to LE 2005, and ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Trying to Understand the "wireless connection" module of mcc (new to LE2005)

I hope that, since this is specific to mandriva, this is the right place to post this, rather than in networking.
    Basically, I have just upgraded to LE 2005, and was pleased to discover that mandriva control centre now includes, in the networking and internet section, a module called "wireless connection". Wonderful, I thought, this should help me sort out my many issues in this area, but, so far, it aint looking good:

(the white blank next to encryption usually contains my encryption key, but I deleted it from the image for obvious reasons)

The top section, known networks, is empty, despite my having configured a network already, as detailed on this page.
    It also seems odd that no available network is detected, since the computer is a metre away from my network hub which is successfully broadcasting to two other computers.
    A glimmer of hope is in the "status" section where some of the parameters from my configured network (here) are shown. However, this clearly doesn't represent an active connection, since I can't even ping the gateway.
    As the configured connection shows, my network card has been recognised (it is indeed certified compatible by mandriva).
    I hope I've gone into enough and the right detail.
    Thanks for taking the time to look at this
    Giles
    "Our greatest fear is not that we are powerless. Our greatest fear is Microsoft"
    Registered linux user #391027

Just Joined!
    Ok, I am a total noob but I dont see anyone else chiming in so I'll give it a shot.
    Yes, it does look like your system is recognizing the wireless card but no ip is assigned.

Open a terminal
    if your wireless router is set to NOT broadcast the essid then you will need to do a

iwconfig wlan0 essid <essid name>

then you can do a

ifconfig wlan0 up

then if no errors

dhclient wlan0

this should give you an ip

and if any of this works you should see your little network connection monitor connect together. If this does not help I'm sorry but just wanted to try and help since I had simalar problems with my LE 2005. Good luck

Edit: Oh yea you may have to do all this as root. but I'm not sure
    Another edit: I just saw your network device is eth0 and not wlan0 so you may need to replace the wlan0 with eth0 in the above commands.

Thanks to curt8769 for the story so far:

Quote Originally Posted by curt8769
    if your wireless router is set to NOT broadcast the essid then you will need to do a

iwconfig wlan0 essid <essid name>
    No message (either error or confirmation) which I assumed means that the command only gives messages in the case of errors, so all was well.

ifconfig wlan0 up
    Unfortunately, this gave the error:
    SIOCSIFFLAGS: No such file or directory

Does this refer to eth0 being unnavailable, a piece of code neccessary for the operation not being found, or perhaps the network being unreachable? (not just trying to put you on the spot, curt8769, anyone who can help is welcome...)

Many thanks again for your attention

Giles
    "Our greatest fear is not that we are powerless. Our greatest fear is Microsoft"

Just Joined!
    Well shoot....sorry that didnt work out. try checking this link

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questi...hreadid=226137

There is alot of techie stuff but the answer to your problems may be in there.

or just try googleing

There is alot posted about this error.

C'mon gurus....a lil help for newbs over here.

or just try googleing

There is alot posted about this error.

yes, now all seems to be well: after a fortnight of struggle, I am posting this from my linux box, accessing the network (and internet) for the first time.
    The wireless pannel which was the initial stimulus for my question still seems a little odd: although there is now an entry in "available networks", there are still no known networks. However, frankly this doesn't bother me hugely, since I AM ON LINE!

If anyone else is having this problem, I found that I needed to download the firmware from the prism 54 project, rename the file to "isl3890" and save it in usr/lib/hotplug/firmware and etc/firmware. If I then ran the commands described above by curt8769, all went to plan.
    Thanks again curt8769, and excuse me if I endulge in one more banana: , and possibly the hallelujah chorus...

Giles

Just Joined!
    HOORAY :rock: