Find the answer to your Linux question:
I just installed 10.1 Official (mainly to familiarize myself w/ Linux), went through the whole installation gamut without a hitch. Rebooted. Got to my desktop. I adjusted the screen rez ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Newbie: Restart problems

I just installed 10.1 Official (mainly to familiarize myself w/ Linux), went through the whole installation gamut without a hitch. Rebooted. Got to my desktop. I adjusted the screen rez then rebooted. Now all I get is this text:

Mandrakelinux Release 10.1 (Official) for i586
    kernel 2.6.8.1-12mdk on an i686/tty
    localhost login:

How do I get back to my desktop from here? Tried rebooting more times than I care to know. Please help.

Linux User
    Try logging in with the user you created and then type:

Code:
    startx
    Hopefully that's all you'll need to do.

Just Joined!
    Thanks soulbrothax831
    I found my problem. Since I installed it on a old crap PC that I conned off of one of the IT guys at work, it doesn't support a resolution of 1024. Therefore, when I enter "startx" and get a screen full of text but in there is a line roughly stating that a screen is found but not in a usable configuration. Now, aside from probably having to do a reinstall, is there a way I can adjust the screen res from the screen that I wind up in in the first place?

Linux User
    I'm really not the best of help when it comes to editing config files as I'm still learning to do so myself, but I believe you can try editing your xorg.conf and search for your monitor configuration in there.

Try doing either:

Code:
    vi /etc/X11/xorg.conf
    or

Code:
    pico /etc/X11/xorg.conf
    If you used vi, you'll need to press "a" to insert anything, "esc" to get out of insert mode, ":wq" to write & quit, or "q" to quit without saving. Hopefully someone with more experience will be able to jump in and give you further advice.

oz
    forum.guy
    Yeah, you can either edit /etc/X11/xorg.conf as indicated in the previous post, or you can run xorgconfig from the command line and enter the proper info.

Let us know...

Just Joined!
    I took your advice Ozar and tried xorgconfig. Being an FNG to Linux, though, I really didn't understand much of the process. Needless to say, nothing came out right. So, I took the easy way out and just reinstalled it. Now, I'm back in operation. Thanks guys. You'll be seeing more of me here in the future.