Find the answer to your Linux question:
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Newbie: Restart problems

I just installed 10.1 Official (mainly to familiarize myself w/ Linux), went through the whole installation gamut without a hitch. Rebooted. Got to my desktop. I adjusted the screen rez then rebooted. Now all I get is this text:

Mandrakelinux Release 10.1 (Official) for i586
    kernel 2.6.8.1-12mdk on an i686/tty
    localhost login:

How do I get back to my desktop from here? Tried rebooting more times than I care to know. Please help.

Try logging in with the user you created and then type:

Code:
    startx
    Hopefully that's all you'll need to do.

Just Joined!
    Thanks soulbrothax831
    I found my problem. Since I installed it on a old crap PC that I conned off of one of the IT guys at work, it doesn't support a resolution of 1024. Therefore, when I enter "startx" and get a screen full of text but in there is a line roughly stating that a screen is found but not in a usable configuration. Now, aside from probably having to do a reinstall, is there a way I can adjust the screen res from the screen that I wind up in in the first place?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    I'm really not the best of help when it comes to editing config files as I'm still learning to do so myself, but I believe you can try editing your xorg.conf and search for your monitor configuration in there.

Try doing either:

Code:
    vi /etc/X11/xorg.conf
    or

Code:
    pico /etc/X11/xorg.conf
    If you used vi, you'll need to press "a" to insert anything, "esc" to get out of insert mode, ":wq" to write & quit, or "q" to quit without saving. Hopefully someone with more experience will be able to jump in and give you further advice.

forum.guy
    Yeah, you can either edit /etc/X11/xorg.conf as indicated in the previous post, or you can run xorgconfig from the command line and enter the proper info.

Let us know...

Just Joined!
    I took your advice Ozar and tried xorgconfig. Being an FNG to Linux, though, I really didn't understand much of the process. Needless to say, nothing came out right. So, I took the easy way out and just reinstalled it. Now, I'm back in operation. Thanks guys. You'll be seeing more of me here in the future.