Find the answer to your Linux question:
HELP!!!! I've installed Mandriva Linux 10.1 on my Dell Optiplex 170L with Windows XP Pro(dual boot). When I select linux on the LILO menu, the screen shows up like KDE ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

DISPLAY

HELP!!!! I've installed Mandriva Linux 10.1 on my Dell Optiplex 170L with Windows XP Pro(dual boot). When I select linux on the LILO menu, the screen shows up like KDE is starting up, but the screen is messed up with a bar on top and a lot of messed-up...stuff. HELP ME!

What exactly do you mean by 'messed up'? Is the resolution wrong? With the bar on top, it could be that you have to adjust the monitor settings (on most LCD's you have an 'auto' button which adjusts your screen's color, hue, position, etc.).
    Stumbling around the 'net:
    www.cloudyuseful.com

Just Joined!

that monitor

i adjusted the r, g, and b settings on the monitor, let it self-adjust and did everything i could to it short of throwing it down on the floor and applying great force to it in the form of a hammer, yet it still doesn't work.....mandrake 10.1 has the driver for my video card (an intergrated Intel chipset [865]), but not the monitor (Dell flatscreen E153FP). under the monitors listing, it had a Dell flatscreen E152FP, but it didn't work. I even tried the generic Intel driver to no avail........

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Again, what exactly is wrong? Is it the resolution? If it is, it can be configured manualy in /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 (if you are using XFree, if it's X.org, it is something similar). This is where the X server settings are configured, so it's the first place to start. I've never bothered with monitor drivers in linux, and I've never had a problem, just a tweek of the file which I mentioned.
    Stumbling around the 'net:
    www.cloudyuseful.com