Find the answer to your Linux question:
i can't get mandriva installed right on my computer. please reply, im only 15 and if i cant figure this out, ill lose my inspiration to do other things, like ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

installation

i can't get mandriva installed right on my computer. please reply, im only 15 and if i cant figure this out, ill lose my inspiration to do other things, like STAY with linux..........HHHHHHHEHEEEEEEELLLLLLLLLPPPPPPPPPP !!!!!!!!

A little advice: first off, calm down. Not being able to get Linux installed is not the end of the world. Secondly, in order to help you we all need more information about you and your computer.

What type of computer is it? How much memory? What size harddrive? Is the harddrive Serial ATA or regular old IDE? What display card? What CPU? What exactly *can't* you do? Is the CD booting? Are you having trouble configuring the installer? More information please.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!

3 deep breaths, calm down, and talk clim.......:

Clim: the computer is a Dell Optiplex 170L. It had Windows XP Professional installed, but I'm not an administrator, since it's not my computer. It has an Intel Celeron processor running at 2.4Ghz and 256MB of RAM. The hard drive is a 40GB IDE hard drive. Graphics: Intel 82865G Graphics Controller that is intergrated with the motherboard. The monitor is a Dell E153FP Flatpanel. The problem is not that the CDROM won't boot, because it will. In fact, LILO even shows up in all its graphical glory. The problem is with Linux itself. When I get into Linux, the screen is not displayed right. I booted into linux with init 3, logged in as root, and got into XFdrake to configure the setup. Mandrake has the drivers or my video card/controller and automatically detects it, but as for the monitor, nothing. I tried the next best thing: E152FP, but it didn't work. I even tried the Plug & Play options and the generic flatpanel AND generic big monitor settings, with no success. Is there anything I can do, or should i uninstall? If so, how do i do that?

Linux Newbie
    If you can't get it to work, you could always get a new graphics card thats Linux compatable.

I would advise running drakconf and scrolling through the drivers for your graphics card/monitor untill something works, or a re - install

Also, what version of Mandrake have you installed? If you're not using 10.2 (2005 LE) you might try getting the upgrade.

Have you tried any live disks (e.g. Knoppix) on it? If you can get one of those to work, you could then see what drivers that uses.

Hope that helps!