Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am trying to install Mandrake Linux 10.1. I have downloaded the .ISO file for CD1, figuring that I will install the others later. I then burned it to a ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Installation Help for Mandrake Linux 10.1

I am trying to install Mandrake Linux 10.1. I have downloaded the .ISO file for CD1, figuring that I will install the others later. I then burned it to a CD using the 'Write ISO' option in my CD burner. However, when I try to install, when it gets to the package-copying section, it says "There was an error installing packages:" and then it lists a package. It then asks me, "Go on anyway?" This occurs for these packages:
    • perl-5.8.5-3mdk.i586
      libsasl2-2.1.19-5mdk.i586
      common-licenses-1.0-8mdk.noarch
      gnucash-1.8.9-2mdk.i586
      hdparm-5.6-1mdk.i586
      mtools-3.9.9-3mdk.i586
      pciutils-2.1.11-6mdk.i586
      perl-SOAP-Lite-0.60-0.a.2mdk.noarch
      procmail-3.22-5mdk.i586
      drakconf-10.1-2mdk.i586
      drakfirsttime-1.1-15mdk.noarch
      dump-0.4b37-1mdk.i586
      dvd+rw-tools.5.21.4.10.8-2mdk.i586
      efax-0.9a-2mdk.i586
      open-1.4-14mdk.i586
      pcmcia-cs-3.2.8-1mdk.i586
      printer-utils-10.1-0.2mdk.i586
      qiv-2.0-2mdk.i586

The computer is a Asus whitebox, with 1 GB ram, 80 GB hard drive, approx 20 GB of which is for a Linux partition. I have admin access over the entire computer. I cannot connect to the Internet to install these packages.

All versions of mandrake/mandriva that I've installed have always been the "standard" or powerpack, either on 3 download CDs, boxed set CDs or single DVD.

It looks very much like you've told the installer that you only have the one disc and it probably needs some of those packages as dependencies for something.

You'd have to dig around at "their" (mandrake/mandriva) site, for stuff about network installations, as I suspect that if you want to "do it" like that, you have to have some way of telling the installer that thats how you want to install, what mirrors you want to use, etc etc. Otherwise if it thinks that you have "all" the discs, when you tell it that you only have the first one, It then hits you with the error that you've posted.

You might also find more accurate guidance at either linuxquestions.org or mandrivausers.org if theres nothing obvious here.

regards

john

Just Joined!

installing mandrakelinux 10.2 from burn cds

I am new to linux and very frustrated, I downloaded mandrakelinux 10.2 from a mirror, three cd, make 3 iso, I burned the iso images, I put the cd in the drive, all I get is a set of options of which the first is install mandrakelinux, I click on it, hit enter, nothing happens.

Nothing happens, it just sits there?
    Does the screen go black?
    Did you try any of the other options? Just to see what happens?
    Did you try typing "linux text" at the prompt?
    How to know if you are a geek.
    when you respond to "get a life!" with "what's the URL?"
    - Birger

New users read The FAQ