Find the answer to your Linux question:
I've recently made a complete switch over to Linux from Windows, and so far I am very pleased with my decision. I've purchased a book to guide me through the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Newbie, unfamiliar with Linux, missing items from the KDE control center.

I've recently made a complete switch over to Linux from Windows, and so far I am very pleased with my decision. I've purchased a book to guide me through the basics, and in this book the author goes into great detail about the KDE information center. However, I am missing most of the sub-topics that he refers to. I have access to Memory, PCMCIA, Protocols, Samba Status, and X-Server--I do not have Block Devices, Devices, DMA-Channels, Interrupts, IO-Ports, Network Interfaces, Paritions, PCI, Processor, SCSI, Sound, or USB Devices. I am not certain about why I am missing these options. I thought it might of been something I missed during the install package selection. I would really appreciate any help that anyone could offer. javascript:emoticon('')

Thank you,

Matthew Plourde

Mandriva has placed their own configuration tools in the Mandrake Control Center (Configure Your Computer in the System section of the Kmenu) and they don't run a "vanilla" version of KDE. That's probably why some of the modules are missing.
    There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX. We don't believe this to be a coincidence.

- Jeremy S. Anderson