Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have repeatedly tried to install 10.2, and each time I am met with the error "No hdlists were found" after properly formatting the selected portions of my harddrive. I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

New to linux, having difficulties installing 10.2

I have repeatedly tried to install 10.2, and each time I am met with the error "No hdlists were found" after properly formatting the selected portions of my harddrive. I have four partitions: Windows, swap, /, and /home. Any ideas about what I am doing wrongly?

Matthew

hdlists are not lists of hard drives. They are what urpmi (Mandriva's package manager) uses to resolve dependencies for installation. If the installer can't find the hdlist, it would most likely be a problem with the media or the drive. Did you check the md5sum before burning the ISO files?
    There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX. We don't believe this to be a coincidence.

- Jeremy S. Anderson

Just Joined!
    hdlists are not lists of hard drives. They are what urpmi (Mandriva's package manager) uses to resolve dependencies for installation. If the installer can't find the hdlist, it would most likely be a problem with the media or the drive. Did you check the md5sum before burning the ISO files?

I have been installing Mandriva a number of times from these discs. Often it says the the hdlists can't be found, and then a few rare times it finds the lists and brings up the installation media selection. How do I check the md5sum?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    If you downloaded the ISO files, the directory you downloaded them from should have a text file in it with the md5sums. You can either open K3B and go to Tools -> CD -> Burn CD Image and point it to the file (it will then calculate the md5sum for you) or grab a program to do it. You look at the md5sum from the download directory and compare it to the md5sum generated by K3B (or other utility) to see whether it was a "good" download. Since the disks have sometimes worked on other machines, I think we can rule out the CD drive...perhaps the CDs are scratched or dirty?
    There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX. We don't believe this to be a coincidence.

- Jeremy S. Anderson

Just Joined!
    I am not currently running a Linux system, so I cannot use K3B. How else could I do this? The md5sum file in the iso is empty...do i need a certain program to read it?

http://etree.org/cgi-bin/counter.cgi...are/md5sum.exe

The md5sum you want to verify is not in the ISO. You want to look at the md5sum provided in the directory you downloaded the ISO files FROM and then verify the md5sum of the ISO files you have with the program above to make sure the two match.

- Jeremy S. Anderson