Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello, I am brand new to Linux. Put my first Linux system on yesterday! Anyway, I have a Turtle Beach Santa Cruz sound card and a 5 speaker surround sound ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

New to Linux, Santa Cruz Surround Sound speakers only on 2 speaker mode

Hello,

I am brand new to Linux. Put my first Linux system on yesterday! Anyway, I have a Turtle Beach Santa Cruz sound card and a 5 speaker surround sound system. On my Windows OS, I installed Turtle Beach's control panel. Through there, I put the speaker mode on "4 speaker w/sub" or whatever it's called. Then I get all speakers and surround sound.

Also, when I plug in my headphones on Windows, the Turtle Beach automatically recognizes that I put in headphones and it changes the speaker mode to "headphones". This means that whenever I plug in headphones, my speakers are turned off.

However, in Mandriva, I do not have the control panel. This means that whenever I play music, it is on the default 2 speaker mode. Also, when I plug in headphones, the speakers don't stop playing music. They continue playing. I would like to avoid having to turn off my speakers everytime I put my headphones in. I'd like it to automatically go through the headphones and turn the speakers off.

So, what are my options as to a replacement control panel for my sound card?

Thank you!
    Joseph

Just Joined!
    The control panel on windows uses interfaces on the card that are proprietary and not publically documented. To get the extra hardware working requires:
    a) the manufacturer write appropriate drivers for the card to work in linux
    b) The manufacturer allow access to documentation allowing someone else to write the drivers
    c) someone reverse engineering the interfaces to write a driver that works with it in linux.

Basically the hardware support in linux depends on how much the company wants to support it, and how cagey they are about their hardware designs.

Just Joined!

Pure-FTPD

finally i installed my Pure-ftpd and it's working with Mysql and it's working fine , but i still can not make it create folders by it self , i want make it create it automaticly that i do not need to creat it by my self because my next step is a web site that allow users to create their own ftp space by them selfes

my pure-ftpd folder is under /opt/pure-ftpd-1.0.21/
    and all my configuration files are in this folder /opt/pure-ftpd-1.0.21/configuration-file

and i run my pure-ftpd with this command
    /usr/local/sbin/pure-ftpd -l mysql:/opt/pure-ftpd-1.0.21/pureftpd-mysql.conf &

i use fedora core 5

if any one know how to make it create folders by it self , i will be glad

thank you