Find the answer to your Linux question:
I've downloaded and installed the latest mandriva linux and installed and updated all my packages. I have several servers up and running (apache, sendmail, telnet, etc.) on this box. My ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

LAN access help

I've downloaded and installed the latest mandriva linux and installed and updated all my packages. I have several servers up and running (apache, sendmail, telnet, etc.) on this box. My problem is, I can only access these servers from the server itself, not from any other computer on the network. (of course the goal is to access the more secure servers from the WAN, but for now i would be satisfied with LAN access).

Here is some information that might be useful.
    My linux box ip is 192.168.1.40
    My testing host is WIN XP at IP 192.168.1.34
    Gateway/Router : 192.168.1.1

all subnet masks are /24

i can ping each computer from the other, i can telnet localhost on the linux box (as well as access the default apache web site), but I can't telnet from the XP box to the linux box, and nothing appears in a web browser on the XP box at address http://192.168.1.40
    this is a serverless network (P2P only), I'm using IP addresses, not host names in my queries.

Linux Guru
    Do you have a firewall configured? Sorry to start at the beginning , but []it's a very good place to start...[/i].

Also I haven't really done much networking on the linux side, more from a Windows background there, but have you looked at /etc/hosts.allow and /etc/hosts.deny? I think this may be of help until one of the gurus arrive.

I think the firewall is the problem here, as BigTomRodney said (good work on that, chap ).

By default, Mandriva has its security pretty stringent on the firewall, which is a good thing. They also include very easy-to-use configuration tools for the firewall in the Mandrake Control Center, which is also a good thing (Configure My Computer in the System portion of the start menu). Go into the firewall configuration screen and set the services you want allowed to be able to get through.
    There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX. We don't believe this to be a coincidence.

- Jeremy S. Anderson

Just Joined!

checking the firewall

Are we talking about shorewall? i tried turning it completely off, but that didn't do much, I'll see what I can find in the configure your computer area, and I'll post what I find.

By the way, avoid using telnet...it's plain text over the network. Use ssh instead, since it's encrypted.
    There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX. We don't believe this to be a coincidence.

- Jeremy S. Anderson

Just Joined!

Wait just a second

Thanks so much guys, In all my frustrations I actually missed the fact that I was handed a new IP address by my dhcp server, so another computer on my network had been handed my old IP which made it very confusing. Thats why I could ping the address but not connect to it.

But pointing me to the firewall config helped too, because I just set it up to allow access to my servers, excluding telnet and its all up and running. Its a testament to linux (it took me a couple weeks to get my exchange server running properly.

I'm beginning to like linux.

I know a linux guru who goes by flatline, your not phil from minnisota are you?

No, I live in the research triangle area in North Carolina. Good to know that *nix minds think alike, though

- Jeremy S. Anderson