Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I installed Mandriva LE2005 and I setup my modem correctly (USR5610b). I connect via KPPP at 49333 bps but when I open a web browser (firefox 1.0.4, konqueror, etc.) ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Internet access problems

Hi,

I installed Mandriva LE2005 and I setup my modem correctly (USR5610b). I connect via KPPP at 49333 bps but when I open a web browser (firefox 1.0.4, konqueror, etc.) it does not go on the web. It says "<web site> not found"

Do you have any clue ?

Linux Newbie

browser problem

I use Mandrake 10.0 and have not had this , but this sounds suspiciously like a problem in Redhat/Fedora where the /etc/resolv.conf file gets incorrect ISP addresses stored by the Internet connection wizard/GUI. I don't know if it is the same thing but check that file out before and then AFTER you log on and see if your ISP addresses are the first or only thing listed. Some times the MDK internet tools can get screwy...maybe it's happening here.

logon to terminal then:

cd /etc
    cat resolv.conf

you should have something that looks like this after logging onto net:

[****@mybox1 etc]$ cat resolv.conf
    nameserver 209.244.0.3 # ppp temp entry
    nameserver 209.244.0.4 # ppp temp entry
    nameserver 209.244.0.3 #kppp temp entry
    nameserver 209.244.0.4 #kppp temp entry

Just Joined!
    I was using mandrake 9.0 and 10.1 and I did not get these problems either. But I will try looking at these files. Thanx

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!

Mandrive LE2005 Internet - Dial-up

I did some digging and found this on the reported Madriva problems on their official web-site:

Network unreachable because of wrong firewall settings

* A firewall is automatically installed using eth0 instead of your interface to internet. To get back your internet access in the meantine, you can
    o either use MCC / Security / Firewall then OK and change the network interface to ppp+
    o or you can disable temporarily the firewall with this command after boot : "service shorewall stop"
    o or for advanced users edit /etc/shorewall/interfaces and replace the line "net eth0 detect" with "net ppp+ detect" then service shorewall restart.
    * this is necessary for all users connecting with a modem (analogic or DSL with pppoa or pppoe) or users connecting with another interface than eth0

A fix will be available in drakxtools updates. Once you've installed the updates, you have to reconfigure your firewall with the firewall tool from the Mandriva Linux Control Center (drakfirewall).

Lemme try this and find out if it works.

Just Joined!

Re: Internet access problems

Quote Originally Posted by studur
    Hi,

I installed Mandriva LE2005 and I setup my modem correctly (USR5610b). I connect via KPPP at 49333 bps but when I open a web browser (firefox 1.0.4, konqueror, etc.) it does not go on the web. It says "<web site> not found"

Do you have any clue ?
    Try this
    I did some digging and found this on the reported Madriva problems on their official web-site:

Network unreachable because of wrong firewall settings

* A firewall is automatically installed using eth0 instead of your interface to internet. To get back your internet access in the meantine, you can
    o either use MCC / Security / Firewall then OK and change the network interface to ppp+
    o or you can disable temporarily the firewall with this command after boot : "service shorewall stop"
    o or for advanced users edit /etc/shorewall/interfaces and replace the line "net eth0 detect" with "net ppp+ detect" then service shorewall restart.
    * this is necessary for all users connecting with a modem (analogic or DSL with pppoa or pppoe) or users connecting with another interface than eth0

A fix will be available in drakxtools updates. Once you've installed the updates, you have to reconfigure your firewall with the firewall tool from the Mandriva Linux Control Center (drakfirewall).