Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hey All.. I just installed my mandriva 10.1 system and for some reason it can't boot... so this is the description of what I did. 1. During the bootloader screen, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Problem booting after install

Hey All.. I just installed my mandriva 10.1 system and for some reason it can't boot... so this is the description of what I did.

1. During the bootloader screen, there are 6 options
    -Linux
    -Linux-nonfb
    -2427-0pre21
    -fail safe
    -windows
    -windows1

First situation : When I chose Linux, linux-nonfb and failsafe
    The system fails to boot, and the following shows up on the screen.
    Code:
    Mounting root device
    Mounting root filesystem
    Mount : error 6 mounting ext 3 flags defaults
    well, retrying without the option flags
    Mount: error 6 mounting ext 3
    well, retrying read-only without any flag
    Pivotroot: Pivot_root (/sysroot, /sysroot /initrd) failed:2
    unmount/initrd/sys failed :2
    unmount/initrd/proc failed :2
    Initrd finished
    Freeing unused kernel memory: 216K freed
    Kernel panic: no init found. Try passing init = option to kernel
    After the last line, the system just waits there and does nothing...

Second Situation : When I choose 2427-0pre21
    -The system boots as normal and the login screen appears
    -I am prompted for my password, but not my username
    ( This could be due to the fact that during the installation, I did not create
    any users, as I only wanted to use it from the root account )
    -I type the password in and press enter
    -The password box is greyed out, and it sort of "moves" to the right
    and then back to its original position
    -I am not logged in, and I am prompted for my password again.

Methods I have tried to alleviate this problem:
    Reinstall the linux distro ( did not work )

Does anyone have a solution to this problem? I hope I provided enough information... thanks for looking... ^^"

Just Joined!
    Heys... just managed to get my mandrake 9.0 online ( too bad its not 10.1), with someone's help awhile ago, but I really want to use 10.1 since it looks so much better... so does anyone have a solution to my problem? I was wondering if I used my 10.1 CD to upgrade my 9.0 version will I experience the same problem? cos it seems that in my 10.1 I had kernel problems ( see above) but my 9.0 works fine...

thanks for your comments..

Linux Guru
    Looks to me like your bootloader configuration is not correct. The kernel loads, but is unable to mount the root filesystem, either because it doesn't know where it is, or maybe because of a problem with the root filesystem. It would be helpful to know what drives you have, what partitions are on those drives and how your bootloader is configured.

You should be able to get all of that using one of your installation CDs (doesn't matter which one) and booting into "rescue mode" (read the startup messages for how to do that: maybe with "linux rescue"). Then run 'fdisk -l /dev/hda' then 'fdisk -l /dev/hdb' and so on through hdd or until you have seen the partition table for each drive. A harmless error message will result if you have a CD drive or no drive at any of those commands.

I think you will be able to view your bootloader configuration by mounting the root ( / ) partition and then finding /etc/lilo.conf in that partition.

This is the sort of thing that is made much easier if you have a LiveCD like Knoppix or Damn Small Linux.
    /IMHO
    //got nothin'
    ///this use to look better

Just Joined!
    Hey man, thanks for the reply... but do you have any idea what is wrong with my kernel? I mean that's kinda strange, its newly installed and all..

Linux Guru
    I don't see a kernel problem at all. It appears to be either a bootloader and/or a filesystem problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mandrivel
    Mounting root filesystem
    Mount : error 6 mounting ext 3 flags defaults
    well, retrying without the option flags
    well, retrying read-only without any flag
    As to why you have those problems, other distros sometimes have similar results, independant of the fact that back when they called themselves Mandrake, this sort of thing was routine. 9.2 was notorius for frustrating new users.

Since your 9.0 seems to work, try mounting your 10.1 partitions. If they mount with no problems, take a look at your lilo.conf in your 10.1: I'd bet that you are trying to mount the wrong partition. The kernel panics not because of a bad kernel, but because the kernel can't find what it expects to find
    /IMHO
    //got nothin'
    ///this use to look better