Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
My guess is that it found everything but your monitor and configured them correctly. You may have incorrect horizontal and vertical refresh rates (it's a place to start). I don't ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

My guess is that it found everything but your monitor and configured them correctly. You may have incorrect horizontal and vertical refresh rates (it's a place to start). I don't remember if Mandrake has them, but you could try running xg86cfg or xf86config to "fix" your X configuration. Look up your monitor's specs before trying, though.
    There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX. We don't believe this to be a coincidence.

- Jeremy S. Anderson

Just Joined!

Trial and error..

O.k, let me try it!

Just Joined!
    Hi Flatline, I've tried to configure my hardware (monitor, video, etc) by using xf86config like you said, but the screen keeps showing the same message when I tried to exec startx:

Code:
    Using authority file /root/.xauthority
    Writing authority file /root/.xauthority
    Using authority file /root/.xauthority
    Writing authority file /root/.xauthority

xFree86 Version 4.3.0
    Release Date: 27 February 2003
    X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0, Release 6.6
    Build Operating System: Linux 2.421-0.13mdksmp i686 [ELF]
    Build Date: 12 March 2003
       Before reporting problems, check http://www.XFree86.Org/ to make sure that you have    

the latest version.
    Module Loader present.
    Markers: (--) probed, (**) from config file, (==) default setting, (++) from command line,

(!!) notice, (II) informational, (WW) warning, (EE) error, (NI) not implemented, (??)

unknown.
    (==) Log file: "/var/log/XFree86.0.log", Time: Wed Jun 15 05:30:31 2005
    (==) Using config file: "/etc/X11/XFree86Config-4"
    Using vt 7
    (EE) No device detected

Fatal server error:
    no screens found.

When reporting a problem related to a server crash, please send the full server output, not

just the last message.
    This can be found in the log file "var/log/XFree86.0.log".
    Please report problems to xfree86@xfree86.org.

XIO: fatal IO error 104 (connection reset by peer) on X server ":0.0" after 0 requests (0 known processed) with 0 events remaining.
    It seems that the configuration that I've made doesn't really "saved" by the system. When I use XFdrake, the system keeps read my video card as "nVidia GeForce" (my computer use SiS)

Maybe I should configure the hardware right through the config file itself? Is it possible?

Is there by any chance also an /etc/X11/XFree86Config file (no -4)? I've seen the config utilities on older systems occasionally modify that file instead of the XFree86Config-4 file; I guess they thought it was better to create a "dummy" file and not bork an X config. If that file is there, take a look and see if it has the changes you made. If so, make a copy of the XFree86Config-4 file and then rename the other file to XFree86Config-4 and try to startx.
    There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX. We don't believe this to be a coincidence.

- Jeremy S. Anderson

Just Joined!
    Hey, I finally can access my Mandrake!
    I think it's just my graphical settings. Silly me! I guess it can't handle a 1024x786 resolution, so I give my brother's monitor a shot and, Mandrake is on the screen! Thanks to Flatline for the assistance!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2