Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Glad I could actually help on a Linux help forum...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Glad I could actually help on a Linux help forum

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by sabin
    Firefox is compiled with a not so old version of gcc, version 3.2.3. I can't even tell you what gcc is (heck, it must be related to the C language),
    It's a C language compiler, which you probably know means that it takes C code and translates (compiles) it into machine-readable modules (which I think are also referred to as binaries). There are other C compilers out there, but gcc seems to be the default one for Mandrake, and I think Red Hat as well, at least up to RH9. gcc is used for way more things then just developing C programs, and seems pretty crucial to any install of Linux. I'm don't yet understand gcc's full role within the OS, but I know you need it when you're installing programs from source files (not from RPMs).

Thanks for the clarifications, Seren

Just Joined!
    gcc is the GNU Compiler Collection. Generally, you will need it to compile any packages from source.

Many programs that are less popular will not have Mandriva RPMs; these programs you will need to compile from the source. If you download a program archive with a *.tar.gz or *.tar.bz2 extension, it is probably a source package that will need to be compiled by gcc.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2